Problem with rear projection TV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James_Y, Nov 16, 2001.

1. James_Y

James_Y Auditioning

Nov 14, 2001
    I recently bought a 54" Samsung rear projection TV (Tantus SP54J8PF) and have noticed that when the screen becomes black, about 3/4 of the right side of the screen is slightly orange in color. You can't really tell during the day or when the lights are on, but when the room is dark and the picture is completely black it is quite noticeable. This is a little annoying when I'm watching a movie and the picture fades to black.
    I've moved the speakers and all the AV equipement away with no improvment. This is a fairly low end TV for this size. Is this expected or is there something wrong?
  2. Rob Michaw

Rob Michaw Stunt Coordinator

May 2, 2000
    I am having a similar issue with my set, but it doesn't turn orange. It just gets slightly lighter towards the edge (noticeable in a dark room, on dark scenes).
    Take a look at this thread:
    rob michaw
  3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Nov 1, 1998
    1. The space between the CRT's down below might be missing a shroud so the orange glow from the CRT filaments in their necks is getting up into the optical system.
    2. One of the scan lines 484-525 could be drawn just off the screen with something bright, or there could be spurious flashes at the ends of scan lines just off the screen, and reflecting about inside the TV cabinet.
    You would have to go in the service menu to find something about electronic matting, or more technically adjusting the duty cycle of horizontal and vertical blanking.
    Other video hints: