What's new

Problem with Panny RP91 and 24K Gold CDs??? (1 Viewer)

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Graeme Shiomi,
"Are the two Gold discs the only ones that won't play in the RP91?"
Yes...all other CDs and DVDs play just fine.
"I would put in a disc, it would Show 0---- Read
over and over, and the sound you'd hear was like 'WHIRRrrr-r-r----WHIRRRRrrr-r-r---'. After about a minute of trying to scan, it says 'No Play' and the unit is silent."
That was a wonderful impression of what my RP91 sounds like with a gold disc in it's drawer ;) The scary part came at the end when I heard something that sounded like the CD was skipping off the lens or something internal. I'm sure that wasn't what was happening, but that's the way it sounded. It was a "clicking" noise.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Well, when I got home tonight, I checked what version of firmware I had. I've got 236.
I have also contacted Panasonic Tech Support, but I don't expect them to be much help.
Any ideas as to the next step???

Jim ZZ

Auditioning
Well.... Last night I checked my firmware. I'm down a level (it's 227?), so I guess I will be doing the upgrade. I was disappointed to hear that Mr. Reda is already at level 236 and gold CD's still don't work on his unit.

I've already talked to Panasonic about this problem. Actually I first reported this problem December 23rd. I have an open case # that I can refer to and will post it in the next day or two since I don't have it with me at the office. Panasonic said they would call back in 24 hours. We'll this past Tuesday (Jan 15th) I still hadn't heard from Panasonic so I called again and raised hell. They finally had a man call me back that evening. He said... "Send the unit to your nearest authorized service center and they will fix it." He did not admit there were any problems. This tech told me it would be 3 to 4 weeks to get the unit returned to me. They did not offer to cover any shipping costs and refused a loaner. Was I hot?

It gets worse.... I explained to the rep that if they kept the unit for that length of time and it still didn't work when I get it back, that my options to return and/or exchange the unit would be lost. They said their was nothing they could do about it. I'd have to take that chance

I'm going to see if I can reach someone at the Langhorn, PA center for a better understanding of what is going on with this unit! I'll keep posting to the NG until this is resolved.

Jim

Jim ZZ

Auditioning
Here is my case # with Panasonic for anyone that is following the problem with RP91's not playing 24K gold CD's.

Case #10840944, opened on 12/23/01.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Jim ZZ,
"I was disappointed to hear that Mr. Reda is already at level 236 and gold CD's still don't work on his unit."
Wow, Mr. Reda?! I'm moving up in the world. ;)
I find it strange that the people who did the upgrade from 2.27 to 2.36 don't have a problem, but the guy with the player that shipped with the 2.36 firmware already on his machine (namely me) has the problem. Hmmm, perhaps there's something in the upgrade???
I logged my case two nights ago and still no answer from Panasonic. They also told me that it would take 24 hours to reply.
"This tech told me it would be 3 to 4 weeks to get the unit returned to me."
Perhaps it's just me, but I feel that it is completely unacceptable (a) for it to take that long and (b) for a player to not be able to play a quality CD.
I'm going to give a call to my service center (which is very nearby) to see what they suggest.
I too would like this situation resolved without losing my player for 3-4 weeks...I'll go nuts without movies/music for that long!!!
Regards,
Ron

Jim ZZ

Auditioning
Last night I upgraded my RP91 to version 236. This was a simple and straightforward procedure taking about 3-4 minutes.

The firmware upgrade reset all the A/V configuration parameters to their defaults.

The upgrade DID NOT fix the problem playing 24K gold CDs, so I'm back to square one. I will now ask Panasonic to advance replace my unit, as waiting 3-4 weeks for a 3 week old machine is unacceptable.

ZZ

RicP

Screenwriter
Wacky situation there gentlemen. I've had an RP-91N for quite awhile...firmware 2.27 and I have zero problems playing any kind of cd -- Gold, CDR, CDRW, SACD/CD Hybrid, Silver -- they all play perfectly.

Seems to me that it would be a laser issue on a select few units if only the Gold CD's were affected.

Have you guys tried playing a Gold or Green CDR yet?

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
RicP,

"Have you guys tried playing a Gold or Green CDR yet?"

Nope, not yet...my CD burner software crapped out and I haven't reinstalled it yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks