1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Problem with Panny RP91 and 24K Gold CDs???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ron Reda, Jan 15, 2002.

1. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

I recently received my MFSL 24K gold copy of "Dark Side Of The Moon" and, when I tried to play it in my RP91, I met with unexpected results. The player tries to read it in, but has a problem. After a few attempts at reading the disc and then some rather disconcerting sounds emanating from the player, it reads, "No Play."

Have any of you RP91 owners met with similar results?

Just to be sure that it wasn't a bad disc copy, I tried with a Sony Mastersound 24K gold disc, but to no avail.

Now what???

2. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

"Now what???"

Just hang'em on your wall... pretend your a rock star. lol..

3. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

I guess you're stuck using a separate CD player for those. Or, you could burn a copy to CD-r and play that. Completely legal for your own private use.

Now, it won't be the nifty gold, but you'll still get the improved sonics of the alternate transfer/mastering.

4. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

"I guess you're stuck using a separate CD player for those."
    RichardH,
    That was my thought as well. I suppose I could go the CD-R route, but then how would I justify buying a new CD player to play the gold discs? [​IMG]
    I guess making a CD-R of the original could also be helpful in that if the CD-R gets scratched up from normal wear and tear, I can just burn another one, keeping the original in mint condition.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Seriously though, the experience was somewhat disconcerting for two reasons. One, here I just bought this DVD player that supposedly could play everything (except for SACD) and it stalls on a gold CD. Two, I would think that the gold surface would help the player to track better, not the complete opposite.

5. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    Ron,

I have the RP91, and a few Mobile Fidelity gold discs(Rush/2112 comes to mind), so I will try it when I am home tonight and let you know if I get the same results.

Scott

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Does the gold CD play in a normal CD player?

7. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

ScottH,

If you could check that out and let me/us know, that'd be cool!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Patrick Sun,

I only tried it in one, but yes, it worked fine.

8. Miles_W

Miles_W Second Unit

Ron I have Cisco 24Kt gold Adagio d'Albinoni and I have not noticed any problems playing the cd on my rp91...

Miles

9. Laurence_C

Laurence_C Stunt Coordinator

Laurence
    Billy Joel (52nd Street) gold CD made by Columbia plays fine on my RP-91.

10. John Morris

John Morris Guest

I just tested the mfsl gold Dark Side of the Moon CD in my RP91 and it works fine. I tried to get it to misread, but I couldn't get it to not play.

Does the little CD LED on the RP91 ever light up, or does it display the error message before it recognizes it as a CD?

Also, even if it looks clean, clean the disc and try it again.

11. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    My Rush 2112 MFSL worked fine. Been a while since I dropped that one in...still hasn't lost it's luster.

12. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

While everyone's on the subject of the Gold Dark Side, how does it compare sonically to the base CD version (must have bought mine in the late 80's). I now have a revealing system, so I should notice even small improvements.

Thanks.

Doug

13. StephenMSmith

StephenMSmith Stunt Coordinator

Hey Ron. I have Dark Side of the Moon (UCD 517) and just tried it in my RP-91. It's playing just fine.

Have you examined the surface of your copy for any scratches or other imperfections?

Steve

14. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

My Sony Master Sound 24K of Meat Loaf's Bat out of Hell plays fine.

I haven't found a disc yet that the RP91 can't play.

15. Andriy Zolotoiy

Can you guys compare firmware versions on players which do/don't play gold CDs?

Latest FW version for RP91 is 2.36. It's easy to upgrade at home.

16. John Morris

John Morris Guest

My RP91 worked fine and was upgraded to v2.36. I didn't test it prior to the upgrade, so I don't know if the upgrade made it work?

17. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

John Morris,

"Does the little CD LED on the RP91 ever light up, or does it display the error message before it recognizes it as a CD?"

Not sure...I'll have to check on that one. It tries it's hardest to read/track the disc and displays the "Read 0" message while it tries to do so, but then craps out.

"Also, even if it looks clean, clean the disc and try it again."

That's what a buddy suggested I do after I experienced the problem. The disc surface is immaculate, so I didn't think that it needed to be cleaned. I will do so when I get home tonight. Last night, I tried the same disc on my bedroom DVD player (a JVC XV-S62) and it worked just fine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~

StephenMSmith,

"Have you examined the surface of your copy for any scratches or other imperfections?"

I sure did...the disc is in mint condition!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~

WOW, thanks for all the replies, Fellas!!! At least there's hope that I can get it to work in my player (and not have to buy a CDP). I feel ashamed for ever having doubted my trusty, dependable, "plays everything" RP91. :b

So, what kind of every day household items do you guys suggest for cleaning this bad boy? I heard a mild dishwashing liquid (like Dawn) works well. Any ideas?

Thanks again for all the help,

Ron

18. John Morris

John Morris Guest

19. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

John Morris,

Well, I went home at lunchtime to try my hand at the gold disc again. This time, I used a less expensive Sting "Dream Of The Blue Turtles" MoFi disc instead. Anyway, I washed the disc thoroughly with Ajax dishwashing liquid and warm water, let it dry, wiped it with a chamois-like cotton cloth using radial strokes out from the center and tried playing it again. The player displayed READ, then READ 0, then READ again, then READ 0, then READ 00, then it made a strange noise like it was trying to track the disc again, then READ, then NO PLAY. I never did get the CD LED to light up like yours did. In fact, other than the text on the display, no other lights lit up. So, the saga continues...

Although I have not checked the software/firmware my RP91 has, it was manufactured in October '01. Can I presume that it has the most recent update?

20. Graeme Shiomi

Graeme Shiomi Stunt Coordinator

Are the two Gold discs the only ones that won't play in the RP91? My first RP91 died after playing half of one DVD, and the symptoms after it died are the exact same as yours. I would put in a disc, it would Show 0---- Read

over and over, and the sound you'd hear was like "WHIRRrrr-r-r----WHIRRRRrrr-r-r---". After about a minute of trying to scan, it says "No Play" and the unit is silent.

Try playing another Regular CD, then a DVD. On mine, after it died a CD would play fine, and only a DVD wouldn't play.

Graeme