What's new

Problem with Panny PT-53WX42 (1 Viewer)

Brent Hanson

Auditioning
Real Name
Brent Hanson
Hello...

First time poster here (so take it kind of easy on me!)

Here's my problem... I recently moved into a new house. My tv had to get moved twice (from my old house to my fiances house temporarily and then to our new house a few weeks later). When I turned the TV on, the convergence was all messed up and the color looked horrible. Everything has a slight tint of blue. Grass looks kind of gray-ish instead of green. I played around with the service mode settings (don't worry - I wrote down all of my original settings before I did anything!) but I couldn't get it to look normal. Here's an idea of how it looks right now:

Anyway, I thought maybe it was a problem with the guns. I'm also having a problem with red color kind of "popping" in for about a half second and then it goes back to normal (normal being all blue-ish and gray-ish looking). Yesterday, though, I hooked up the new cable box and turned to ESPN HD. Everything looked absolutely perfect. So my question to y'all is... is there anyway I can take my color settings from HD - I'm assuming it was 720p as I think that's what our cable box supports.

I'm getting married and just moved into a house this year (read: I have no money and there is no way my fiance will let me pay $600 for someone to come service the tv). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brent
http://www.brentnet.us

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
most likely the voltage controls (G2 / Bias) were jarred during the move. These are on the focus block, and you will see them after removing the speaker grill cover and service panel. There will be a huge amount glue on them which will have to be removed. The controls are very sensitive and you will want to have a gray scale image (read: black and white) image on the screen when you adjust them.

Please note that I have serviced MANY DISPLAYS AFTER the client has attempted to adjust the voltage controls by themselves.

Regards

Gregg

Brent Hanson

Auditioning
Real Name
Brent Hanson
Gregg -

Is this something I can safely do by myself? I'm confortable with technology for the most part, but I guess I don't want to just open it up and start messing around if I don't have some idea what I'm trying to do first.

Thanks,
Brent

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
just be very gentle with the trim pots. ....a quarter turn and you will have likely turned them too much

Brent Hanson

Auditioning
Real Name
Brent Hanson
One last question-

Will this affect my HD at all? The color looks absolutely spot on. Are the controls for HD complete seperate for regular tv?

Thanks,
Brent

Brent Hanson

Auditioning
Real Name
Brent Hanson
Just going to give this one more bump to see if anyone can answer my last question....

Thanks in advance,
Brent

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
absolutely, the changes will be global.

If the move only affected one source type / scan rate, then it is not an issue with your voltage / bias controls. ...time to check your sources and cabling.

regards

Gregg

Brent Hanson

Auditioning
Real Name
Brent Hanson
That's the thing - my cable box does HD. So basically, the non-HD cable looks god awful (looks fine on other tv's in the house), but four HD channels from the same box (so, same source/same cables) looks terrific...

Any other ideas?

Thanks much,
Brent

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks