Problem with Panasonic SA-XR50

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Ein_shem, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Ein_shem

Ein_shem Auditioning

Greetings all,

I just got a new XR50 and no matter what I do, I can't get to hear anything from the subwoofer. It's a panasonic sub (part of a whole older Panasonic system that came with 5 DVD changer and a receiver built in, along with 6 speakers). No matter which sub connector I am using (there are two) it doesn't work.
    Any one has an idea...experience with this?

Thank you.

2. DorianBryant

DorianBryant Screenwriter

Hello,

I replied to your e-mail. Did you check the settings during set-up? If all speakers are set to large, or any combination outside of just the mains are set to large, then no sub. There are 3 majotr adjustments you can check.

1) Check the speaker size. All set to small or everything but the mains set to small.

2) Make sure you have selected subwoofer "yes" during set-up.

3) Make sure your "Subwoofer level" is turned up. Try adjusting the trim level. It can be turned off or set to "Min."

If you have tried these, please describe your speaker settings in more detail. Have you put in a DVD which plays DTS or DD which would have an LFE track to play?

3. Ein_shem

Ein_shem Auditioning

Thanks for your reply!!

Well, I set it up to either all speakers are Small, or all but the Front ones. Subwoofer is also set to "Yes" and the level is up (15, sometimes MAX).
    I also have both my DVR and DVD hooked up with an optical cable.
    Last night I was eventually able to see some "new things" in the display....I put in "Cast Away" and got DolbyEX, as well as some status on the speakers. The LF, C, RF, LS, LR and LFE showed up.

You see, my problem is that MAYBE the sub works...maybe not....I can't tell. In my old system (Panasonic, 5-DVD changer and a receiver built in) the sub had 5 levels (other than OFF) and the difference between them sound-wise was enormous...even one with not-too-sensitive ear was able to tell when the sub is off, or on in any give level.
    In this system, maybe it's working, but I cannot tell...

4. DorianBryant

You said you can hear it with the "test" signal passing through the sub? You should be able to hear a difference. How is the sub hooked up?

5. Ein_shem

Ein_shem Auditioning

No...I said I CANNOT hear anything coming from the sub, not even when I run the TEST, even though the (receiver) display does show the Subwoofer during the TEST. Panasonic told me yesterday that although it shows the Sub in the test sequence, the sub does NOT suppose to make any sound during the test (which sounds dumb to me, because it this is the case, then why does it show in the display? If it shows in the display I would assume that the sub is "taking part" in the TEST process...).

Right now it is connected to upper connector (next to the Center connector, but I also tried the lower one, which is according to the very poor manual is for powered sub. This is not a powered sub.

6. Chris A H

Chris A H Stunt Coordinator

If is it not a powered sub, then this could be your problem. Your old system probably had the sub amplifier in the actual receiver and that amp powered the sub.

Can you XR-50 drive a "passive" sub? It would need to have an additional amp available in order to do this.

If not, you will need to buy and outboard or plate amp for the sub.

7. Ein_shem

Ein_shem Auditioning

Well, it has two subwoofer outputs (I am trying to add a pic of the back panel, but it doesn't work...sorry) - one is on the top, another one a bit lower than that, and this one (the lower one) is mentioned as the "powered subwoofer) connector...the remark is to the right of this connector and is off this pic). I added two black arrows to the pic.
    So, I would assume that if they said that the lower one is for a powered sub, then I would not have any problem connecting a non-powered sub to the other one...

8. Steven_Jobe

Steven_Jobe Stunt Coordinator

No I don't believe that reciever is capable of powering a passive sub.

9. DorianBryant

The Panny rep was wrong. You can hear the test through the sub. It does sound like the problem is in your sub though. No, it cannot power a passive sub. I would guess the sub is the problem and the XR50 is fine.

10. Ein_shem

Ein_shem Auditioning

So why are there two sub connectors...one of them specified as "powered sub"...?!

And yes, I do believe she was wrong...it doesn't make sense that the TEST will show the sub if it does not suppose to 'test' it...

11. DorianBryant

I am not sure about the sub. Do you know anyone who has a powered sub you could borrow? You could even buy one and return it later after you have diagnosed the problem. I do know the test comes through on the sub. The reps ar ePanny are useless. When I had the question they could not answer it. I ended up ordering another receiver to do side by side comparisons and realized both were fine. Of course I had to pay to ship one back.

As for your sub. It has a regular AC plug-into the wall? You should connect the subwooofer out from the receiver to either RCA left or right input jack. It should work if it does not have a problem.

12. Ein_shem

Ein_shem Auditioning

My sub is not a powered one, all it has is the two regular speaker wires.
    And yes, I did that...I connected the sub to a "standard" speaker and it works fine.

Yeah....I think I'll get something powered simply to test it. It doesn't make sense that a receiver like this will come brand new with something defect in it.

Panasonic rep. did not know the answer, she escelated it and said someone from the 'audio department' will contact me within 48 hours (which ends tonight at 7 [​IMG] ).

BTW - did you also find the manual for this machine a 'disgrace' by Panasonic?? The poorness of the manual...the so minimal information...it's unbelievable.

13. Daryl L

Daryl L Supporting Actor

I don't have a panny. But looking at the manual and all the posts and reviews of the XR50 indicates the sub output is for a powered sub. If you want to use a passive sub you must either buy an external amp to power it OR connect it to the front left/right terminals, set its crossover to your choice then connect your front left/right speakers to the sub. Then in setup set front left/right speakers to large and sub to none/off so all lfe and bass is redirected to the front left/right speaker outsputs to the sub and speakers.

I have a panny dvd player. Their manuals are very unorginized and confusing compared to most. Same as JVC's.

I'm currently waiting on the XR70 to come out to decide between it or the Kenwood VRS-7100. [​IMG]

14. DorianBryant

Manual was terrible. I figured out the settings from simply testing the functions. The xr50 is a great receiver. Get a powered sub and hook it up to your system. I run all JBL speakers in a 7.1 config and it sounds great. i ordered the Dayton 10" and it will be here tomorrow.

15. Daryl L

Daryl L Supporting Actor

DorianBryant,

How are you running a 7.1 speaker setup on the XR50? Are you running the two back surrounds in parallel or serial?

16. DorianBryant

I currently have N24's set as dual surround back speakers. They are wired in series. I have the trim level set at +5. You can run them in parallel as well. I did that at first. I decided to be cautious though and switch it back to series and raise the trim level. I have heard from other users who have tried it both ways. Sounds better than a single back speaker though.

17. Daryl L

Daryl L Supporting Actor

Ahhhh kewl. [​IMG]