What's new

Problem with Panasonic DVD-CP72 (1 Viewer)

Neil Bruce

Auditioning
Hey all. Just bought a new Panny CP72 and have noticed a faint horizontal line rapidly moving from the bottom to the top of the screen whenever I use Component out. This problem only happens with Component, and I've tried numerous sources and cables just to make certain that it's the DVD player that's the problem.

Has anyone else noticed this problem? The player functions perfectly otherwise and I'm hoping that there's just some setting that I've missed ... but I've tried everything through the setup menu and nothing seems to get that flicker away. I'm using an old Sony Vega 27 TV until I upgrade to progressive, and so the problem is coming out whenever I output interlaced video through Component.

If anyone else has the player, I'm seeing the flicker most during grey scenes, like the shot of the Mordor Volcano at the opening of Lord of the Rings. It's made the cave scenes in that movie virtually unwatchable. Playing the same scene through my XBox with the same cables doesn't result in any flicker at all ... on the Panny that line flickers even when the player is paused.

Any ideas?

Neil Bruce

Auditioning
Actually, I just tested it out again through S-Video and the flickering is still present, just harder to detect.

Anyone heard of this problem before? I bought the CP72 largely because I'd heard how good the picture was and that it didn't have the Chroma Bug, for when I upgrade to progressive later.

Neil Bruce

Auditioning
After further analysis, I'm only seeing it in muddy sections of colour between red and blue. Purple skies in LOTR, Purple backgrounds in the opening bedroom scene of Monsters Inc, also in red walls in Monsters. Anyone with any knowledge of the Panasonic Flicker Bug got any ideas? It's not that big a deal and if it's reduced or eliminated when I eventually switch to Progressive I'll be happy to live with it for now.

Neil_S

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought the CP72 last night and watch SW:AOTC. The rolling faint white bars on a dark background was VERY apparent.

I've been doing some research and I've found several people stating it is a grounding issue on the component video plugs. I can't find any substantial information on this however.

I hooked my old Sony back up and there are NO rolling bars so it does not appear to be a cable issue.

I think I'll exchange it today and see if I still have the problem.

Neil

Just checked it in Monsters Inc, I have a CP72, hooked up component to my Toshiba 40H80 and no kind of rolling bars at all!

Neil_S

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Joey. If you don't mind, will you try turning on the player and pressing 'stop' so you get the blue/black screen that says "DVD". Do you see any faint flickering in the background? Now hit 'play'. While the disk is being read (and still on the "DVD" screen) do you see a flickering? Look below the DVD letters.

Thanks!

Kevin Nolan

Stunt Coordinator
Mine has been in the house for about ten days and I have not seen any of the probs you have presented. I'm watching on a Sony KP53HS10.
So far I love this player..it replaces a 10yr old Sony CD-changer and my awesome Tosh 5109 P-scan DVD player it's almost like having a new TV!
I have read in AVForum that on some early production units of grounding and stripe probs. AVS Froum
Luvin my 72!!!
Kevin

Kip Lackey

Stunt Coordinator
Full-time lurker here with a comment on the CP-72. I just received mine for X-Mas based on positive comments in this forum. While watching the first 30 minutes of Gladiator (which is a very dark portion of the movie), I noticed every so often, a white flicker or two. It's not constant but defintely was not present on my Toshiba. Is this was you are referring to? If so, it is noticiable and even begins to distract because I'm not used to seeing this in my movies. FWIW, I'm using S-Video, not component. Any input is appreciated as I'd like to return this unit to Crutchfield for replacement.

Thanks,
Kip

JasonLC

Stunt Coordinator
Kip,

I would definitely return it and try another CP72. I went through 2 CP72s and could never get one without the poor grounding problem which shows up as the flickering you see. I got my Rp82 after going through those 2 Cp72s and it shows no flickering at all.

Rob Lloyd

Stunt Coordinator
I have not noticed and problems like those on my CP72. My picture is perfect - no noise, no rolling bars etc on either S-vid or component (I use component 99% of the time). I will add that it's being fed into my B&K 307 and then off to the projector.
I am using a DIY cable for it - canare v3-5cf (off the top of my head, might be different) RG6 and canare connectors. Definetly a better cable than the cheap ones the dvd players come with.

Are you guys using the stock cables or good ones?

JasonLC

Stunt Coordinator
I was using Acoustic Research Performance Series component cables on my 2 - Cp72s. I also got the rolling white horizontal band flashes via S-Video out, but they weren't quite as intense.

Dan_R_M

Stunt Coordinator
did everyone purchase them from the same place (onecall)? I am considering one of these...I am beginning to get a little skeptical.

GordonL

Supporting Actor
I picked one up locally (DC area) a few days ago for a pretty good price - $150 after rebate. :D No ground loop problem here. Build quality is not as bad as some people make it out be, in fact, it's quite good considering the price. Looks like a keeper.

Dan_R_M

Stunt Coordinator
If I did get one...what is the configuration for me to see if I do have the problem...or is it apparent all the time? Can it be seen in non-progressive scan mode? If so, what is the best way of seeing it?

Sean L

Stunt Coordinator
I bought a CP72 from Onecall about 3 weeks ago, and have used it extensively since then. I am using A/R Pro Component cables and haven't had any problems with PQ at all. My only gripe so far is that I have to go into the setup menu and switch DVD-Video mode to ON (each time) to get a Dolby/DTS signal out of my DVD-Music albums. These DVDs aren't labeled as DVD-A, and as far as I can tell they're not since they have video, but I am new to this....

Sean in Nor Cal

Kip Lackey

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry to rehash this issue. I received a replacement CP72 and again put in Gladiator. I watched throught the first four chapters only to see the same "sparks" in certain scenes. One very apparent one is when Maximus raises his head in the sunlight prior to the battle in the opening chapters. The spark shows up on the right (his right) side of his head near the eye. This same artifact can be seen many times in chapter four when Maximus is talking alone with with Ceaser. When there is a close profile shot of Ceaser, look at his wrist, face, etc and you will see these artifacts. This is what threw me off about the player. I then proceded to watch the beginning of Episode 2 which is very dark. Guess what, no artifacts. I had a friend with a Toshiba 57H82 confirm the artifacts in the Gladiator transfer. His is now pretty ticked because they are now blatently obvious and he keeps looking at them. I suppose the moral of the story is either: 1. Use more than one disc and player (if possible) to verify the problem or 2. don't use Gladiator as a reference disc if you are extremely particular about the picture. Maybe I'm obsessive compulsive but those darn artifacts are really annoying.

I am really enjoying the CP72 and can only offer the highest of praise for this very economical unit after going through this episode.

Kip

One thing I can tell you for sure, Rob, if "high end" cables even make any difference in the first place, low end cables aren't so bad as to cause reoccuring problems as noticable as a flickering line like that. It's obviously some kind of manufacturer defect.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks