Problem with outlet after installing a timer switch?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Brian Johnston, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Brian Johnston

I recently moved into my first house, and I am gradually fixing things up and getting them the way I want. My latest chore was to install a timer switch to control my porch lighting. Long story short the timer now not only controls the porch light, but one outlet in my family room on a different circuit. How does this happen? How can I fix it? Do I need a different type of timer?

Note: I have a suspicion that I screwed something up during the install. The switch I removed was set up with one of the wires connected to the bottom terminal and then continuing on to a joint before leaving the switch box. For ease of installation (and becuase I couldn't figure out how to do the same with the in-going timer which has wires instead of terminals), that same wire now goes direcly in to the joint with the wire from the timer switch.

Any advice would be appreciated, or if you could direct me to a site where I could find the answer. I really don't feel like calling an electrician to install a timer for me.

Thanks.

2. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

Take the lead that goes "somewhere else," and try hooking it to the other side of the switch. Sounds to me like the extra lead is the power for the outlet.

Do you have/can you use a multimeter? If so, you can figure out which side is always hot. That's the side the outlet needs to be on.