Problem with Onkyo DR-C500 DVD Receiver

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by David C Lin, Sep 28, 2003.

1. David C Lin

David C Lin Stunt Coordinator

Recently I purchased a refurbished Onkyo DR-C500 DVD Receiver from the online store JandR.com. When I received the unit and hook it up to my home theater system to play my favorite DVD movies, I noticed yellow colored pixelations scattered across the screen. The yellow 'dots' always locate at the same location on screen. But those dots flickers on and off seemingly in a random pattern. Those dots stays on ranging from a few seconds to several minutes throughout the whole movie. I've tested this on several DVDs and it looks like the Onkyo DVD Receiver have this problem with all my DVDs I tested. I have two other DVD players (Apex and Toshiba) and none of my DVDs ever exhibit this yellow pixelation problem, so I think the problem is the Onkyo DVD Receiver. I'm writing to this forum to ask if any other members have encountered this problem. If so, how did you go about fixing it?

Below are a couple of shots I took of two different DVD movies with my digital camera. The two movies are Minority Report and Star Wars II. Notice the same yellowish colored pixelation pattern in those two screen shots.

PS. I just tried to post this message with a couple of screen shots of the two movies I mentioned above. But it seems I can't post any URL links until I've posted 15 messages. So for now, there won't be any photos of those yellowish pixelation pattern from those movies and you will have to take my words for it. Sorry about that.

2. David C Lin

Ok. I finally got my 15 posts so I can post some screen shots of those yellowish pixelation problem I mentioned before. Notice the exact same placement of the yellowish dots in two different movies: Minority Report and Star Wars II.

Minority Report at 1 minute 57 second:
    [​IMG]

3. David C Lin

Star Wars II at 2 minute 38 second:
    [​IMG]

4. Rajj Nair

Rajj Nair Stunt Coordinator

David,
    Im abt to plan buying a DCR500 too, refurb unit, how much did u pay for yours, How happy are u with the unit (apart from the dots problem that is) and progressive scan feature etc.

LMK
    Rajj
    PS : Did u get any inputs from anyplace else on the yellow dots?

5. David C Lin

I bought my Onkyo DR-C500 DVD Receiver from JandR.com. I paid about $200 plus around $30 shipping.

I guess consider the price I paid, the dots are just minor annoyance. This receiver is my first 5.1 home theater receiver. And when I played my favorite DVD movies with the new 5.1 sound, it's like watching a completely different movie! Also, I love the mp3 player on this unit. I made several mp3 cds and it's so cool to be able to play music all day long without having to swap cd after every hour or so. I really love this unit. If it doesn't have the yellow-colored pixelation problem, it would be a perfect unit.

About the progressive scan feature, I only have a 27" Sony Trinitron TV so I can't say much about that feature.

I've posted my yellowish dot problem on another forum at DVDTalk.com. Not much info other than to take it to the repair shop. That's exactly what I did. My Onkyo unit is now in my local Onkyo service center being looked at. I hope they can fix this problem. Because I just got this unit for a week or so, and already it's in the repair shop. [​IMG]

6. David C Lin

Just to update the status of my receiver problem in case some people are interested. I took my Onkyo DVD Receiver to the Onkyo local repair shop. The guy said the problem was due to mpeg chip. He got a replacement from Onkyo and swap in the good chip. Now everything works fine. No more yellowish pixelation problem anymore.

He said another person also brought in a refurbished Onkyo that have the same problem. So it looks like this problem appear in many Onkyo DVD receivers. So watch out for it.

7. David C Lin

I just noticed another problem with this Onkyo unit. When playing mp3 CD's, the player would end playing the last mp3 song on the CD about 5 seconds too early. A bit annoying, but considering that a mp3 CD can contain hours of songs, it's not a big problem to loose 5 seconds at the end.

Anyone know if this is a problem in all the mp3 players?