Problem with Onkyo digital input. Help!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Greg Dav, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Greg Dav

Greg Dav Auditioning

I am connecting my cable box digital coax output to an Onkyo TX SR701 coax input. A cannot get sound from the cable box. I have toggled through the inputs with the 'Audio Adjust' button. When it gets to 'coax', there is still no sound. Anybody familiar with this receiver? What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    You may have to have both analog and digital connected from the box to the receiver. Some cable boxes will only output via digital if a digital signal is present in the broadcast.

3. Greg Dav

Greg Dav Auditioning

I'm trying to connect audio to receiver and direct to TV. This way it will be possible to watch TV with our without receiver on. Any suggestions on how to accomplish this with only one set of analog audio out from cable box? I guess I could split the set of outputs. Any other way? Thanks.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    You could split it, as you already said, or if your TV has audio outputs, you could feed that back to the receiver.

5. BillSuneson

BillSuneson Stunt Coordinator

you also may have to go into cable box setup menu and toggle the digital out setting to on. I had this problem with my first cable box and spent hours on the phone with the cable company (box menu wouldn't go to appropriate setting) and insight cable told me that that was a common problem.