Problem with older Mitsubishi 50 in. RPTV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Bustin, Dec 27, 2002.

1. Brian Bustin

Brian Bustin Auditioning

We have a 10 year old Mitsubishi RPTV and it has been having some odd problems. I hope you guys don't mind if I explain them and see if you can offer any advice. If I have posted this in the wrong forum, then I appologize and please move it to the correct forum.

The first problem with the tv occurred almost a year ago. The OSD stopped working. This did not worry us much as the settings that we desired were already selected, and we use an extenal tuner. The TV then began to have a green glow around bright white objects. I guess it is more of a haze than anything. The TV then began to take five minutes or more to start up. Then we began to see the scan lines. The Top 1/8 of the screen seemed stretched and if I looked closely I could tell that certain lines were being put in the wrong spot.

Suddenly the other night the stretching on the top subsided and all was normal except the OSD. Then this morning the TV would not display a picture at all even after being left on for 2 hours. I unplugged the TV and went to the gym and then ate dinner. When I plugged the TV back in and turned it on (after ~3 hrs of being unplugged) it began to work again without the stretching of the image on the top.

I really want to get into HDTV, but the money won't be available for the next 6 months or so. Is there anything I should check or do to extend the life of this TV?

I'm sorry for the long post.

2. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

This television is on the verge of exploding and taking out half the neighborhood. You should get rid of it immediately and get a new HDTV, buying one on credit--look for a 0% interest offer. It is your duty as a citizen.
    Jan
    [​IMG]

3. Brian Bustin

Brian Bustin Auditioning

I'd love to get a new one, but right now it is working fine again. I really don't understand what would make it behave this way. My theory is that it has something to do with the signal to the CRTs. I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with them.

Aren't the CRTs the most expensive part? If they work fine. As a temporary solution could I just bypass most of the TV electronics and buy some type of board that sends the correct signal to the CRTs? It's probably a LOT more complicated than that.

I'm still learning all this stuff.

4. TimTurtino

TimTurtino Stunt Coordinator

That's not the . . . best . . . idea. If you want, you can look up a local repair service, and have them send a tech out-- it might be an easy problem, and diagnosing it should be under $100 (US). Actually fixing it will depend entirely on what the problem is.

I totally agree with the comment about taking advantage of a 0% financing offer (currently available at Best Buy and Circuit City among countless others) if you were thinking of upgrading soon anyway. You can buy a Sony TV now and not have to pay for it until 2004...

Me

5. Brian Bustin

Brian Bustin Auditioning

Thank you for all your suggestions. I had a tech look at it and he vaguely responded about replacing capacitors since they dry out. He said that it would be $300-$400 for that. Sounds like a lot of money to put into a really old set.

What do you think?