What's new

Problem with new LCD TV (1 Viewer)

Matt Naglieri

Second Unit
I had gotten my Panasonic 45" lcd tv a couple of weeks ago and have been extremely happy so far.

Today while watching it I noticed that there is what looks like a perfect green shaded circle towards the top of the tv screen.

Does anyone know what this could be? the picture is still showing up its just that it's tinted in this one area.

Any advice is appreciated. I'm really freaked out about it and it happened just after panasonics customer service closed for the day so I can't call until tomorrow.

Matt Naglieri

Second Unit
Yes it's the same model.

I do like it to a point however there are things you need to know before making your decision.

The main problem with the unit is that somehow it's extremely easy for dust to get through the filter and into the projector. This causes small green spots to appear on the screen. They can go unnoticeable in some instances however the first time it happened it was a major distraction.

The filter itself is no different then an air condition filter and will get dirty very quickly and would need to be cleaned more often the the 400 hours panasonic recommends.

The technician had to come out twice in past month. Both times it took only 15 minutes to clean the projector. It's not very complicated however they have to know what they're doing and they didn't the first time around. They had to be given specific instructions by panasonic before they were able to correct the problem.

The technician did say they get a lot of complaints about this and he thinks panasonic may do something about it in the near future. What that is I have no idea.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the lamp which costs $300 will need to be replaced every 5000 hours. If you plan on using it more that 8-10 hours a day it would probably need to be replaced once a year.

The black levels are far from perfect however but on the bright side you will never have to worry about burn in on this unit which can be a problem on other projection tv's if not calibrated properly.

Another plus is the size of the tv. It's fairly lightweight and not bulky at all. If space is an issue as it is for me then this is something to consider otherwise i'd strongly recommend a regular RPTV.

Please keep in mind that if you do decide to purchase this tv and you do encounter the green spots it is covered under the warranty. Be warned though the customer service at Panasonic is terrible. On more then one occasion they have insisted i've run the tv with the front panel and filter removed which is absurd especially since the tv costs $3,000.

In the end it's a very high maintenance product and not really worth the time. I personally feel that the tv is defective because this should NEVER happen however they won't replace it as long as the original unit can be repaired.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks