Problem with new Klipsch RC-3II! Sound levels different between woofers!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom_Maher, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Tom_Maher

Tom_Maher Stunt Coordinator

The sound coming from the left woofer of my new Klipsch RC-3II is a good 1-2 decibles louder than the sound coming from the right woofer! This noticeably draws the sound to the left, creating an annoying off center listening field. Is there any way I can fix this problem or is my speaker defective? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. matthew_rm

matthew_rm Second Unit

The 2 woffers in the RC3 are diffrent. However I never heard of it being a problem. Mabey you should try another RC3??

3. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

Tom,

This is a design feature on most center channel speakers that utilize two low range drivers. I really do not understand why but in previous threads it has been suggested that one is for lower frequencies and one for higher frequencies.

For what it's worth my RC-3 does it as well as my RC-7. As I mentioned before other brands do this as well.

4. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

What the distance between woofers?

5. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

2"

6. John F. Palacio

2" between woofers and Tom hears the center image shifted at the seating position?

I am confused.

7. Tom_Maher

Yes, the difference does seem to indicate shift in highs and lows, perhaps thats what I am hearing. It seems I get a bit more highs coming from the left. Upon watching a few DVDs, its easy to forget about it, however, it is somewhat noticeable at times. I found the decible difference using my Radio Shack SPL meter (I thought I heard something slightly off, so decided to measure the volume levels between the woofers). Is this simply a design decision I just have to get used to, or, is there something wrong with my speaker? I always get overly nervous about expensive new equipment, and I just want to make sure everything is running smoothly. For comparison, I was running an old Sony center, that was so small, such a difference wouldn't have been audible in the least. Thanks for help so far!

8. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

Ooops, about 8"-10"

9. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

Pretty normal from what I've gathered.

My polk csi400 does it too. Left mid is 1-2 db louder than right mid.

10. Eric C D

Eric C D Second Unit

I'll attempt an answer - hope it helps. I'm sure someone will be along to give a better explanation.

This from the Klipsch website: "Tapered array technology allows both woofers to reproduce deep bass, while only one covers the lower midrange frequencies for clearer dialogue and more consistent coverage."

There are two woofers to give more ability to push air at the lower frequencies. But one of the two woofers rolls off at higher frequencies so that there isn't any cancellation due to interference (and not as much air needs to be pushed, so the extra woofer area isn't missed) . You can hear cancellation if you have a subwoofer-- there will be places in the room that have peaks (the bass sounds louder) and nulls (the bass seems to go away) At subwoofer frequencies you can hear it by moving around. The same effect can be seen in a pond by throwing two rocks in two places and looking at how the waves interact.

Well, when two woofers are set side-by-side, the effect can happen at the your ears - one ear gets different volume than the other. It's also caries at a single location depending on the frequency. Those effects cause the dialogue to seem less clear.

Hope that helps (without being patronizing),

Eric
    [edited slightly for clarity]

11. Eric C D

Eric C D Second Unit

Oh yeah, meant to add the following too.

If you're close enough, you *can* hear where the sound is coming from (i.e, which cone). If you are unable to sit far enough away to make the two cones indistinguishable, that large a speaker may not be your best solution.

Eric.

Caveat: I have a RF/C/S-3 HT.

12. Tom_Maher

Yes, the in my current setup, the room is less than optimal for home theater. However, I am moving the setup to a new room in a few weeks, where I can properly set all my speakers up (I just couldnt wait to order the Klipsches so they overpower my current setup right now). I just wanted to make sure the difference was indeed something built in, and not the effect of a broken speaker. Thanks for the help!

13. John F. Palacio

Tom. How far are you from the speaker when you notice this bias to one side?

14. Tom_Maher

I am approximately 11 to 12 feet away, and can hear the slight bias, it also sounds worse the closer you move to the speaker. It gets less noticeable the more you listen, but it does still put the sound slightly off center. Nothing I couldn't get used to I suppose, but I certainly didn't expect it.

15. Eric C D

Eric C D Second Unit

Ya know,
    I only sit 7 feet from mine. And now I'm gonna listen for the off-center sound and because of this thread I'm gonna hear it! [​IMG]
    I never should have looked at the thread. [​IMG]
    Eric