Problem with new HTR 5760: protection triggers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by JustinG, Sep 9, 2004.

1. JustinG

JustinG Stunt Coordinator

So i hooked up my new 5760 last night. After installing one for my Father In Law last weekend I was so stoked. Previously, I was running a Kenwood VR3080 with a 5.1 setup. All wiring was pulled thru the wall during house construction and I checked with ohm meter for continuity. I had my 2 surrounds hooked at the back surround location while waiting for the 7.1 upgrade.

Ok, don't laugh, but here's my mish mash of speakers. I'm almost embarassed to post it but I had to get speakers that had high WAF else, I be killed.

Yammy HTR 5760
    Liteon LVD-2001 DVD player
    Dish 501 PVR
    Older Kenwood 5-cd changer
    JVC Hi-fi VCR (older)

Speakers: All 8 ohms
    Fluance ES-1 mains
    DCM Center (2- 6" mids)
    JBL PSW1200 12" powered sub
    Klipsch Quintet surrounds
    Cambridge Soundworks The Surround Dipole/Bipole back surrounds

As I said, the Klipsch were hooked in the back surround locations and worked fine with the kenwood. I put the cambridge in their place and moved the klipch to the side surround. All connections to the speaker are 5 way binding post plates with wire going from plate to speaker.

Long setup, sorry. Now, I started the autosetup. Every channel was fine until it hits the back surround left channel. When it plays a high volume tone, it trips protection. I did this twice. So I do manual and the left surround and left back surround both trip the protection.

The strange thing is that at lower volume all speakers work fine, even test tones. Could it still be a short? LIke at higher volumes, more current is passed and that trips the circuit? It's totally possible since I had to make new cables for the new speakers that I might have a short. But, I thought that it would instantly trip the circuit but I guess only at high volume/current.

Have I assumed correctly or could this be a prob with the receiver?

2. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

hove you tried to use a different set of speakers on those channels that are tripping out? You stated that the back speakers were the one with the problems so maby try to connect the side speakers, which you know the wiring and speakers work properly, to the back channels of the reciever. if you experiance the same problem then it is likly a reciever problem, but if it works fine the there would have to be somthing either in the wiring for the back speakers or in the speakers themselves. hope this helps!!

3. JustinG

actually Chris, the problem is in the LS and LBS. One Klipsch (that has worked flawlessly) and one of the new Cambridge.

So, this leads me to believe it would be a short unless the LS and LBS channels on brand new unopened recr is bad.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    It does sound like a short somewhere. Try swapping the offending speaker with the other side. If the problem follows the speaker, it is the speaker that is damaged. If it remains on the same side, it is wiring. Then try running an extra wire outside of the wall to see if the problem goes away. Check the connections at the back of the receiver for stray wires.

5. JustinG

So John, are these symptoms indicative of a short? For example, you may have a short but at low volume/current all seems fine, but at high current, it will trip the protection?

I'm going to start by rechecking all the new connections I made last night. Possible locations:

1. the 4 pair binding post plate i originally installed but didn't use but 2 pair until last night. The LS and LBS connections are next to each other.

2. The new cable for the LBS i made

3. The new plate for the LS

4. The re-used cable for the LS.

I'm thinking that it is probably in the plate behind the amp, and that the cables are all fine. Else, it's a new cable and the new 1 pair binding plate i put in for the LS.

6. JustinG

Just had a thoughht about the plate connectors. It is possible that the short is in the original 4 pair plate. This is how they were connected previously

LS Open
    LBS LS speaker
    RBS RS speaker
    RS open

It now looks like this

LS LS speaker
    LBS LBS speaker
    RBS RBS speaker (working properly)
    RS RS speaker (working properly)

So, if when I installed the plate originally, there could have been a bridge between the LS and LBS connections. But when I hooked up the LS connection last night, this would bridge both speakers together at the connector plate. Maybe this is making a 4OHM load(ok thats reaching).

So, first to test tonight will be to remove the LS cable and test the LBS at high volume. That should confirm my hypothesis.

7. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Justin: When I first bought it (1983) I used to cautiously experiment with my Pioneer SX-6 receiver's protection circuit to see how it worked. I touched the + and - leads together on one channel & slowly turned up the volume. It wouldn't start tripping until I hit around "7" on the digital volume display (useful scale was from "0" to "18"--it actually went up to "30" but didn't actually get any louder). And it didn't completely shut off--the protection relay sort of chattered to the beat of the music until the volume reached a high enough point & then it completely shut off.

So yes, you could have a tiny short somewhere--for example, just one strand of wire touching something somewhere--and the Yamaha can deal with it safely...........but only until too much power is applied.

8. JustinG

cool thanks lance

9. JustinG

looks like my hunch about the 4 way plate was right. there were 2-3 strands of cable touching between the 2 top connectors.

Now, how bout this one? Why does my OSD flicker on the TV. Sometimes it's fine, but then it jumps around a lot. Bad vid cable or something? Picture seems fine though on the tv.