What's new

problem with new "hd" compatibe xbox gun (1 Viewer)

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
first off, the gun works great with House of the Dead 3. problem is, if you unlock House of the Dead 2 (the main reason i got this game!) - the gun does not work at ALL. what gives?

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
I am not an expert on this but I believe the problem is caused by the 720p.

Most of these guns work by sending an all white frame on the second series of interlaced lines. By going progressive you scip this and there is nothing for the gun to register a hit with.

I think that is the basic idea but I am sure others can explain it better than I.

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
well House of the Dead 3 works fine in progressive with the new gun, just not House of the Dead 2 (which is unlockable on the disc).

madcatz says these guns aren't even supposed to be out yet. very strange....

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
ok this is getting strange. madcatz tech support says theses guns aren't even supposed to be out in the US yet.

first off i got it at a Software Etc in Atlanta. Only started looking after someone on gamefaqs said they were slowly being released.

i was playing in component / 480p mode, and the House of the Dead 3 played perfectly. only issue was that i had to calibrate VERY close to the tv. but once i unlocked House of the Dead 2 the gun didn't work.

I had to go uncheck 480p on my dashboard, then it worked decently but looked very poor. there's no reason why 480p would work with the gun for HOTD3 but not HOTD2, since they obviously spiffed up the graphics for HOTD2 (looks exactly on par with HOTD3).

anyway i took a picture of the box and sent it to madcatz tech support since they were denying these had been released. the box is the same, it's just in the little red box towards the bottom over the "for xbox" logo it says it has progressive scan support.

it's very frustrating since the main reason i wanted this game was to play HOTD2. argh.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
It sounds like they didn't upgrade HOTD2 to work with the lightgun. Meaning they probably forgot to test the new gun with it too. :frowning:

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
it's a real shame because House of the Dead 2 looks great on this disc. i guess i don't understand why it doesn't work, since they both appear to be 480p and the gun works really well with HOTD3. i turned off 480p on my dashboard and the gun works OK with HOTD 2 at that point, but looks REALLY bad compared to the cleaned up 480p.

one thing i did notice even with HOTD 3 was that at the end, when you're supposed to shoot your initials, aiming was impossible. and also aiming at the directional cues was hard. so maybe they didn't test it at all, because MadCatz insists this gun isn't out in the US yet (which it most certainly is!).

i tooka picture of the "progressive scan compatible" label and emailed it to madcatz just so they knew i wasn't using an imported european gun.

chris rick

Second Unit
What is the model of that gun Patrick? I've been wanting to get the game as I only have a front projection system and an old tosh widescreen (non hd) tv. Do you think the gun would work with this? Thanks!

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
the gun is a MADCATZ. so far Madcatz is the only one to release an offical xbox lightgun. the "new" hd-compatible models seem to be slowly making their way into software stores whenever the store needs to reorder (many still have their first batches from over a year ago though!!!).

the only difference in packaging is the small red box towards the bottom that now says "blaster supports 50/60/100Hz and most progressive scan tv's".

no clue whether it would work with projection. my guess would be probably not since it seems like they didn't test it properly.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Digital (LCD, D-ILA, DLP) projectors will never work with lightguns. CRT-based HD sets can, no problem, if properly written and with the right hardware.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Um, the TW40X81 isn't a digital projector. :D

If the light gun works with progressive scan TV sets, then it SHOULD work on it.

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
What about those of us who have sets (ahem, Hitachi) that convert 480p to 540p? Any idea if this gun will work for that?

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Sean,

Did you ever hear back from Madcatz regarding your picture of the box?

-Dave

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
yes. it turns out that the gun WAS released, but only to certain vendors in certain parts of teh country.

they tested it and confirmed that the unlockable HOTD2 is only playable with the gun in 480i mode. They said it's a software issue and i believe them.

like i said, the difference in PQ is night and day with this game in 480p and 480i. otherwise i'd just play it in 480i. HOTD3 is so short that I couldn't warrant keeping the game and gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks