What's new

Problem with my Toshiba 50h82 (1 Viewer)

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I have only had this set for about three weeks, but last weekend the TV has a slight red tint on the right side of the screen. It stretches out about 3 inches from the edge and it takes up about 1/2 of the height of the screen. Also, at the bottom of the right hand corner, about 3 inches up there is a small red circle. This tint and circle is only noticeable in light scenes, but I am nervous that something is slowly going wrong. This is my 1st RPTV, so I am not sure if this is a common problem with a common fix or I should call a tech out to have it fixed. Any help and advice would be appreciated.

-Dean-

DougR

Second Unit
Dean,

With a set that is only 3 weeks old ,you shouldn't be having any problems? Get a Tech out there to check it out!

Dreama Slay

Auditioning
If you are in your returnable period, I would not even mess with a tech. Its a new tv, if you have a return period, take it back and get a new one, why have to get a new tv fixed already?

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I am past the return period. I have actually had the set for just more than a month (can't believe it has been that long already). I have a tech coming out on Friday. I explained to them what is happening, and they think they have a pretty good idea what it is. I'll keep everyone posted on what happens.

Thanks for the replies.

-Dean-

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Did the tech say what it was the he or she had a "pretty good idea" was the problem? I take it the unit was fresh out of the box. But some of what you describe sounds a wee bit like uneven phosphor wear. Unlikely, though.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Did the tech say what it was the he or she had a "pretty good idea" was the problem?
Of course he wouldn't. If he tells Dean from the start and he turns out to be wrong, he looks like a buffoon(this word doesn't get used nearly enough :) ) but don't say what he thinks and no matter what the problem is, he gets to say "ahh, just as I thought it would be" and he seems to be a genius.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
He told me what he thinks it is, but I can't remember exactly what he said. I called right when I got up this morning, so I was a bit on the drowsy side. I know nothing about phosphor wear was said and, yes, the set is fresh out of the box.

Another question, could this be a convergence problem? I was only able to do the 9 point convergence through the main menu. I am not sure on how to access the 56 point convergence on this set, or if it can even be done.

-Dean-

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I actually think I solved the problem. I decided to make sure that my Klipsch RF-3 wasn't causing interference, so I unplugged it and moved it. Then I looked behind the TV at the cables. I strung the excess power cord up to the back of the TV because it was laying on the speaker cables. I then turned the set on and the tint is gone. So I plug the RF-3 back in and it is still gone. I believe the power cord for the set laying on the speaker cable was causing interference. Is this possible? I am going to keep an eye on it for the next few days before I cancel the appointment with the tech.

-Dean-

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
>>I actually think I solved the problem. I decided to make sure that my Klipsch RF-3 wasn't causing interference, so I unplugged it and moved it. Then I looked behind the TV at the cables. I strung the excess power cord up to the back of the TV because it was laying on the speaker cables. I then turned the set on and the tint is gone. So I plug the RF-3 back in and it is still gone.

Lee Petty

Stunt Coordinator
as far as i know, an unsheilded speaker has no effect on the picture of an rptv. i have 2 tower speakers next to my rptv (toshiba 42h82), both of which are unshielded, and i have no negative effects.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Did you move your speaker back to the same position it was in during your problem? Your speaker may not be shielded very well. Check it out!!
Yup, it is back in the same exact spot. The red tint is gone and so is that red circle that was appearing in light colored scenes.

Like I said, I am going to keep an eye on it before I cancel the appointment for the tech.

-Dean-

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
Lee,

As I understand it (someone correct me if I'm wrong!) since the CRTs are inside the set, you automatically get a few inches of separation between the speakers and the CRTs, even with the speakers right next to the set. As opposed to a direct view where the speakers would be right next to the tube.

Jan

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Some speakers could produce magnetic fields strong enough to affect the RPTV's CRTs, though.

Yet Dean reports the speaker is still in its normal location, and the problem is gone. Bad shielding on the cables perhaps?

Puzzling.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Hmm, it seems the problem isn't gone. The red circle has completely disappeared, but the red tint has reappeared. It is not as prominent and it isn't there all of the time.

Is it possible that I need some sort of line conditioner? Maybe I am not getting the cleanest of power? Could dirty power cause this effect on a RPTV?

-Dean-

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
When I get home today, I am going to move all the speakers away from the RPTV (including the Klipsch center and SVS sub) and unplug everything accept the set and see what happens.

-Dean-

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
There is often a subtle red shift on RPTVs, on the right side of the screen, usually most noticeable on black and white material. It's part of an overall problem with the red lens being closer to the right part of the screen and the blue lens being closer to the left.
To adjust this, an ISF calibrator such as Gregg Loewen can do "colorstriping." Here's a link to his article about it:
The Colorstriping Link
Cheers,
Jan

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I canceled my appointment with the tech. I unplugged all S-video cables from my H/K 520 and to my set (the component cables did not have the tint issue) and plugged them back in. This corrected the problem. I think one of the cables wasn't plugged in tightly and I think it was the cable from my H/K 520 to the Toshiba. Now I can watch my set without stress and appreciate the beautiful image it produces. :)
Thanks for the help guys.
-Dean-

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
Dean wrote:
(the component cables did not have the tint issue)
Oh, fine, now you tell us! Here we are, speculating this and that based on the presumption of a continuous tint problem, and now you step up all la-de-do-da-day and say, "Oh, by the way, chaps, did I mention that it doesn't happen with my component cables?" :)
Yeesh. :)
Jan

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Oh, fine, now you tell us! Here we are, speculating this and that based on the presumption of a continuous tint problem, and now you step up all la-de-do-da-day and say, "Oh, by the way, chaps, did I mention that it doesn't happen with my component cables?" :)
I happened to notice that the component cables were OK when I watched Beauty and the Beast on Tuesday evening. I noticed no red tint. So I did the S-video thing last night, and sure enough, that was what it was. :)
The components had the red circle problem (caused from the power cord/speaker wire), so I just assumed that the red tint issue was there as well. Thats what I get for "assuming". The true test was when I played SOCOM last night. The red tint was very noticeable on that game, and last night there was none whatsoever. :emoji_thumbsup:
-Dean-

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
Dean,
Don't feel bad. I spent a looong time adjusting the color on my Tosh 42H81, messing with the service menu, trying to get it look decent...and finally discovered that the red cable on the component connection had come loose. :)
Jan

Users who are viewing this thread