What's new

Problem with my QSC rmx850 (1 Viewer)

Chad_A

Auditioning
First off I'll admit that I'm a complete newbie when it comes to home audio, I've spend my years doing it all in the car till recently.

I picked up a QSC RMX850 for my sub not thinking of the problems I may have with running Pro amp with consumer level inputs.

Anyway my problem is that the amp clips very prematurely, I barely turn it up and it clips. I've tried running it from my receiver, a bookshelf system, and even direct from my soundcard just to see what was going on.

I'm guessing the problem is I have too low of a signal voltage causing the amp to clip when I hardly turn the gain up at all. I've heard something about my problem being that I'm using consumer level outputs (-10db) on a pro amp with +4db inputs.

If this is my problem what is the absolute cheapest way to fix this (I'm a college student and have an extremely tight budget). I've heard something about a Level Shifter then I was told a decent Direct Box would take care of the problem too....

Can you point me in the right direction? (I'd love to spend $50 or less if at all possible)

Eric Hargrove

Stunt Coordinator
Chad,
It sounds like you need an RCA sa-155 which will match the impedance of your receiver to the amp allowing you much more usuable gain. This can be found on ebay for less than $50. I belive Radio Shack might still carry it as well. A word of caution, this thing may add a bit of noise to your system. An SVS blackbox would be a better option but they are much more than $50. I am currently using an RMX2450 on my Ultra with no gain problems. Are you running bridged or stereo?

Chad_A

Auditioning
I'm running bridged, 4 ohm to be exact. I can deal with a bit of noise for awhile just as long as I can use my sub, right now it's just bad enough to the point that I don't even bother turning the amp on.

If the RCA will help me in this way would it help me if I just used the soundcard as a source (reason being I may need to go without a reciever for a few months but would still like to retain usability with the sub/amp.

Eric Hargrove

Stunt Coordinator
Not sure how the sound card would work compared to the sa-155. I guess you could give it a shot. I've seen the sa-155 sold on ebay for $20 or less though...

Chad_A

Auditioning
I meant:

Computer soundcard ->sa-155 -> qsc rmx850

basicly cut out the reciever.

John A. Gordon

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JohnG
Chad A,
Have you resolved your problem? And, what is your exact set-up?

John Gordon
QSC Audio Products, Inc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks