Problem with my new SVS 16-46pci Sub?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Steve Boober, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Steve Boober

Steve Boober Extra

Hey all! I got my new sub a couple of months ago or so, unfortunately havent had all that much time to even listen to it, but with what little time I have had, I've got this wierd problem. I used to have an Energy 10.2 sub, and that thing sounded great! But this new SVS sub will start making this sound if I try and get reasonable sound from it. If I start turning up the volume either via the gain on the back, or via my reciever, once I get to the point where I can noticeably hear sound from the sub, it makes this flapping like sound, kinda like hitting the side of a card board box with something. Like air is being pushed but the air is hitting something maybe? It's trying to make sound but all I hear is this wierd sound, kinda boomy sounding (which I know you want boom from a sub), but tthis is way to boomy sounding that its more annoying than pleasing to hear! =( Am I missing something here? No matter what changes I make with my reciever or the sub itself, the problem is still there. I'm assuming that it should not perform this way, but since I haven't heard any other SVS's I don't know for sure

2. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

You bought a new sub and you barely listen to it? Anyway, does it sound "different" from when you first set it up? or has it been like this from the get go. An email to SVS will get help quickly as well.

3. Steve Boober

Steve Boober Extra

it sounds fine at really low volumes in music and when playing DVD's, like if im standing right next to the sub, but if I raise the volume to a certain point to where I can hear it without having to be so close to it, say from where i normally sit to watch tv or movies, it makes that damn thumping boomy sound. So if try and get a reasonable amount of volume out of it, i get this problem. Like I said in my first post, no matter what settings I use in gain, or phase control, the problem is still there. I've tried moving the sub around by a few feet to no avail. It's always had this problem from the very first time i turned it on. I hoped that it might go away after awhile but it hasnt. Thanks for your help...

4. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

Sorry for the simple questions but........Have you had a chance to calibrate it with a SPL meter as well? and followed the setup instructions in the owners manual? I don't want to make any assumptions at this point, and it would be rare, but maybe it has a bad driver or amp.......SVS will be able to help you there.

5. Steve Boober

Steve Boober Extra

Hey, thanks again for the replies, I havent done testing with an SPl meter, but i did make sure to correctly set it up according to the owners manual, and know for a fact its hooked up right. I emailed svs about this a few minutes ago, i guess they might be my best bet for help, if anyone else can think of anything id really appreciate it! Thanks again [​IMG]

6. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Blown driver, bad amp, loose vent - could be any number of things. Your best, fastest, and easiest way to resolve this is to email SVS tech support. They are open 24/7 and you will get a much quicker response than by posting in the forums.

7. Ron Stimpson

Ron Stimpson Stunt Coordinator

Ed is right of course, only when we're caught up on customer mail do we allow ourselves the time to pop into the forums to see what's happening. But since I'm here....

You mentioned you set up the sub by the manaul, but I'm not clear on if you used a SPL meter to do it? That's pretty key since it's well nigh impossible to know what levels we're talking about unless that meter was used, and a test DVD to really be sure (since receiver calibration tones are all over the map and are not to be trusted).

I have to bring this up simply because if you set the gain on the sub and your receiver's sub level control by ear even we will be off, sometimes by orders of magnitude. I don't think this is bottoming of the driver, but if you can shed some light on that Steve it'll help alot.

What I think it is is something else entirely (based on your description of the noise). We had a couple of port assemblies some time ago that were defective. The black laminate separated in one section so it could "flap" in the considerable airflow of the port tube itself. This is exceptionally rare (we're talking .001% if not less) but typically can be seen by shining a flashlight straight down the port from above.

Please do this and e-mail us, and of course that info about how you set things up. If there is something more involved we'll snuff that out too of course. A woofer that took a hard hit thanks to UPS is certainly a possibility here too. Either the port or the driver can be swapped out in minutes.

Ron

8. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

I've always imagined UPS incidents to be fairly rare, and assumed most packages are treated with some care. Well, I had to pick up a package last Friday night from the UPS shipping center. I walked into the wrong building and saw a guy unloading his truck. The object did not appear to be to get the package beyond the truck door and onto the rollers for moving them to be sorted, but to be how hard he could bounce the packages off the wall that prevents the packages from going beyond the rollers without bouncing back into the truck. I would have thought he was a novice driver, or just found out his wife was cheating on him, but all the other drivers passed this spectacle without so much as a glance or wince at every bang those packages were making.

The point being that it says something for SVS packaging that any of our subs arrive in one piece, and no matter who you are, if you deliver your products via UPS (and probably any mass delivery service) there is always a possibility of them destrying it before it reaches your customers no matter what you do!

-Robb

9. Steve Boober

Steve Boober Extra

I tinkered around a bit with the sub again tonight, i also earlier today picked up a SBL meter, and I think my problem turns out after all to be the flooring underneath the sub?! The whole entire room where my home theater is setup, is made of hard wood flooring, it's a very solid feeling floor. I turned the gain up on it enough to where it got to the point where that annoying sound happens, and once i found that point, i tried putting some carpeting underneath the entire base of the sub, and voila! The sound was gone, and it sounds much more like it should. I then cranked the gain up some more, and it is completely gone now
    While doing all this, I had the meter going, and my volumes got to as high as around 95 DB, now off hand, does anyone happen to know how loud these subs can go without risk of damage? I'm gonna look around myself to see if I can find out. Anyways, thanks for everyones help, if anyone has any more advice, I'd really appreciate it!

10. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

No problems with the sub after all - great news! [​IMG]

The reactive forces of the driver are strong, and the sub can sometimes move around on a hard smooth floor. This is rare in SVS' experience, but it happens. The carpet trick works good, or try compliant rubber isolation feet.

Subs are not continuous output devices and you can harm them with sine waves or test tones if played too loud. Keep the steady tones down around 80 dB for calibration purposes or doing response checks.

How loud a sub can hit in bass transients depends on the room size/configuration, where the sub is located, and where the listening position is in relation to the sub.

11. Mike Sloan

Mike Sloan Second Unit

Steve....Email me and I'll go over placement and setup with you. Unless that sub is in a huge room...you should be able to get spectacular results...even setting up by ear! Corner placement is best. Edward, his seating position could be in a "null" and the flopping sound could be the first signs of driver distress!?? In my HT room I have a nasty null (along one of the side seats...not mine... that cancels everything from about 50hz on down. I think we should get layouts of the room and make sure the positioning of the sub is optimal prior to any calibration attempt.[​IMG]

12. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

Mike, I think you meant Steve... It sounds like Steve has isolated the problem and is on his way to a calibrated setup!

-Robb