Problem with my left ear

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Chase, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Chase

Chase Agent

I know this is a weird post but I didn't know where else to go until I can see my doctor.

ok, I am 21 years old and in college and huge nut for everything HT. A few weeks ago I went to a dove shoot and wore ear protection most of the time. During the shoot my allergies were very bad and I was blowing my noise alot. Its been over 3 weeks since that day and I still hear a "skreachy" noise added to anything i hear out of my left ear.

It sounds like a bad treble sound that you hear when music is really loud. It is really bothering me. Anyone knwo what this might be?

2. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

Sounds (pardon the pun) like tinnitus

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

FYI, this is not the sort of thing to post in the Basics area. That section is intended for beginners in this hobby to ask fundamental questions about home theater and the equipment -- and that doesn't include asking for price-comparison shopping tips or which model receiver to buy.

For better or worse, After Hours is where you want to ask about physical problems. Better yet, I'd make an appointment with a physician and ask her or him what the problem is.

4. WadeB

WadeB Stunt Coordinator

Definitely sounds like tinnitus (I have it [​IMG] ) and you should definitely go see an ENT as soon as possible. Good Luck.

5. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

It may be tinnitus - I hope not. Every once in a while the treble on my system sounds very bad also, and I have trouble with low-level sounds of all kinds. That's when I know it's time to see a doctor (actually nurse) and get the wax buildup removed. What a difference! So maybe something is in the passageway.

6. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

Sorry about your hearing issue.

When you were hunting what type of "protection" did you use most of the time. I know personally (from a duck hunt) that a 12 guage shotgun is unbelievably loud.
    What were you using?

Fluid congestion can also cause very strange sounds in your ears too.

I hope this works out for you.

7. Chase

Chase Agent

Form what I have read tinnitus is when you hear sounds when there is nothing external causeing the eardrum to vibrate. That is not what is happening with me so Im pretty sure thats not it.

I was wearing some standard foam hearing plugs while shooting.

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Hope you didn't burst an eardrum.

9. Chase

Chase Agent

I don't think I did. I can still hear great from both ears its just that little high pitched noise that is on top of sound.

10. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i have wax buildup in one of my ears, and it sometimes blocks my hearing if i happen to sleep on it the night before. i tried to clean it myself using various methods, but nothing really worked that well. every time i ask my doctor about it, he tells me to try to do it myself. how can i ask HIM to do it for me? it is clear that my method does not work very well, and i'd like to get it taken care of, i assume that all this wax in my ear cannot be good.

CJ

11. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    CJ, schedule an appointment with an ENT for an ear cleaning (your doctor usually doesn't do this).

Chase, I had a similar issue occur with me and it turned out to be an infection (which required antibiotics). Go see an ENT or your doctor for a checkup...

12. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    Sorry but... what's an ENT?

13. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

ear nose and throat doc.

14. andrew markworthy

Not quite - tinnitus can be a perceived noise additional to that caused by the environment. I'm not a medic, but I have had more than fair share of ENT problems and I have permanent tinnitus. In your case, it sounds like something adventitious (i.e. caused by something you're doing, such as shooting) exacerbated by your nose blowing/allergies. Or alternatively, it may be an unrelated infection that just coincidentally hit you at the same time. But whatever the cause, you need to see a doctor and the sooner you do it, the sooner the problem will be sorted. Your hearing is too precious to mess around with.

15. Jonathan DA

Jonathan DA Screenwriter

It's hard to tell from your description Chase, but you may have a clogged eustation tube. When you swallow do you hear a crackling sound? Or if you snap your fingers right up next to your ear do you feel like you're hearing your eardrum itself move? Could be you got some congestion in your eustation tube and your body is having trouble getting rid of it. If that's the case, your ENT or physician would probably prescribe a steriod course to "blast" the stuff out. Just a guess. Take everyone's advice though and get to an ENT (aka an otolaringologist) as soon as possible. Ear problems can go from annoying to painful to permanently damaging in a very short period of time.