Problem with my HT-S650

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by FarhadB, Dec 25, 2002.

1. FarhadB

FarhadB Auditioning

Last week I bought an Onkyo HT-S650 Home Theater in the Box. The unit has large front speakers with dual 5 1/4" woofers and 1" tweeter and a center speaker with dual 4" woofers and 1" tweeter. The satellites have one 4" woofer and a 1" tweeter.

The system overall sounds pretty nice and tight. However, when listening to DVDs with DTS or DD, the center does not sound similar to the front left and right being significantly lower in high frequency. Guessing a bad speaker, I went to the Circuit City where I bought the original unit and exchanged the center to find no change in tonality. Is this correct? In some scenes in the Fifth Element (I think) when sound was present during
    panning, the difference in the center made the situation very annoying. Is it possible that the receiver is bad (bad decoder)? A bad amplifier? Please help I want to know if this is there by design. If it is, I will promptly return the system back.
    Otherwise, in stereo mode or even with the Center speaker disabled it sounds pretty good.

2. Chris James

Chris James Stunt Coordinator

Did you calibrate the system? Setting the center channel to match the mains/surrounds?

I have no problem like what you are mentioning. Though, my system is level matched.

3. FarhadB

FarhadB Auditioning

To level match, I used my ears for adjusting during the tone tests. I even tried up to +/-6dB for the center.

4. FarhadB

FarhadB Auditioning

I tried reversing polarity of the center speaker. No change. Then exchange the center and right front speaker. Effectively no change. This pointed toward the receiver. Finally put the receiver in the multichannel mode (5.1 Analog input). Even with the right front speaker connected to the center amplifier it did not sound properly. Now I was sure something is wrong with the receiver. Exchanged the receiver. But the sound still was muffled on the center channel. Now I am bummed!

After about an hour I noticed that the Tone Control only works on the front right and left channels and not on any other. That might explain some of the mismatches I noticed since with these speakers I liked higher treble boost. Is this normal (tone control for only front speakers) in all receivers or just the cheap ones?