What's new

Problem with my DA4ES (1 Viewer)

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
Hi, I have the Sony DA4ES which I have owned for about 6 months. I have it hooked up to an Axiom surround sound setup (for those that know these speakers I have the VP150 center channel, QS8 surrounds, will soon have the M60Ti front speakers, and a VTF-2 sub from hsuresearch) and it has worked fine. A few hours ago though I turned to music and suddenly noticed that I was getting no sound out of my left surround speaker.... I tried a film with heavy surrounds, Saving Private Ryan DTS and still no sound. I checked to make sure that everything was still connected and it was. I then took the speaker wires out of the left surround and plugged them into a roommates' pc speaker that I had used to test the reciever before I got my Axiom speakers. Still no sound in the left surround. I made sure that the surrounds were turned on in the DA4ES' option menu. They were. I am completely confused. Because the pc speaker does not work either I am assuming that the problem lies with my reciever and not my speaker. What should I try to do? I am totally clueless as to anything I should do to try to remedy my situation.

Thanks for any help!

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
I used a new set of speaker wire and still....no sound. I swapped speakers just to make sure that problem was with the reciever and determined that it was....great. What could be the problem? Is there any way that I can figure out what the problem is?

Aaron Gilbert

Second Unit
Can I presume that you ran the test tone to verify that it also does not put any sound to the left rear speaker?

It certainly sounds like you have a problem with the receiver. At this point it could be in the DSP circuitry that is feeding the left rear channel, or it could be in the power amplifier section of the left rear channel. One last thing you might try is feeding a signal into the left rear channel of the 5.1 channel input. I'm not sure, but I think there should be a mode using that input, which doesn't use any DSP at all, just passes the input signal on to the amplifiers.

Of course, where the exact problem lies doesn't lead to a fix. I think you'll need to take the unit in and have it serviced. This should be no sweat, and you have four and a half more years for other things to go wrong before the warranty expires. :)

Aaron Gilbert

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
Thanks for the reply Aaron. Yes, I have checked through test tones that no sound is being outputted to the left surround speaker. I just remembered that the time I turned on the reciever right before it started happening that it gave the normal Auto Decoding message on the front of the reciever and then said "Stream (unlock)" What does this mean? It now says this everytime that the reciever is turned on and I know that it was not there before... Is this telling me that something is locked? Is there some sort of menu I can go into to change this setting?

Unfortunately, I believe that I am no longer under direct warranty from Sony because about two months after I purchased the reciever my cat peed on it. I posted a thread in this forum about that a little while back. It was while the reciever was not being used AND while it was still in the original cardboard box. The peek soaked right through the box and into the reciever and corroded the boards. I talked to a local repair place that was doing repairs on my television and they charged me 400 dollars to order new boards and then installed them. They gave me a one year warranty for the newly installed parts. I'm assuming that going to a Sony dealer at this point would not work out even though there are new boards in it? I guess my best bet would be to take it back to the repair place that gave me the warranty on the parts?

Maybe I could take it to a sony repair place under my original warranty saying nothing about the cat piss and just telling them that it stopped working? I don't know about that though because when looking at the top cover when it is off you can clearly see where pee used to be as well as on a few of the metal parts at the top of the reciever where it is corroded. I'm thinking they would probably ask what the heck happened.

What do you think I should do?

JackS

Supporting Actor
Aaron, Send the receiver back to Sony and ask them to repair it for you. Send it in the original stained box and don't mention your cat. Sounds to me like this receiver was in storage under a leaky pipe before it was sold to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks