problem with my avr 430

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by cherryLane, May 2, 2005.

1. cherryLane

cherryLane Auditioning

I recently purchased an avr430 refurbished from harman audio (about 2 weeks ago) I set it up and it was running great up until yesterday. I was playing an audio CD and noticed it wasn't playing as loud as I thought it should be. As I was walking over to the receiver the volume began to become extraordinarily loud out of nowhere. The remote was sitting on my coffee table and nobody was near the receiver at all. I turned the volume knob down all the way. WEIRD.
    Now my problem is that my receiver seems to have extremely low volume output. I have to watch a move at -20 just to barely make it audible. If I run the EZset feature to adjust channel levels it tries to crank all the channels up to +10db to compensate for the low sound output. Does anybody have any idea of what could have possibly gone wrong? I've tried resetting the processor, removing power for 5-10 minutes and starting it up again but nothing seems to work. I used to be able to watch a movie at -35db and have it shake the room, now I need it at about -22 to hear the sound at a modest level. No clue what went wrong.

2. John S

John S Producer

Could just be a bad volume potentiometer. But it sounds like something may have went out. Do all sources behave in this manner?

3. cherryLane

cherryLane Auditioning

yeah I've tried everything, my playstation, dvd player, etc... No idea what caused the problem. Still can't figure out why the EZset cranks all the channels - I have the setup in a really small room. I'm going to send the unit back, but I'm not sure if I should do an exchange or just get a refund...This kind of killed my confidence in a refurbished components.

4. John S

John S Producer

Well, new can have problems as well. The real test is how it is resolved for you by H/K and/or the place you purchased from. If that does not go well, then your shaken confidence is most likely well founded.