Problem with Microsoft Basic Mouse

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Mike Schmitz, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Mike Schmitz

Mike Schmitz Stunt Coordinator

My old mouse was a MS basic mouse connected through the USB port. The left button stopped working on it, so I decided to buy a new mouse. Both are optical. I brought the new one home, unplugged the old one from the usb (while the computer was still on) and plugged in the new one.

I think something went screwy and I had to reboot, but I don't remember what happened. In any case, the new mouse works fine, except for one thing. Every once in a while, the pointer jumps. I mean, it just acts bizzare. It almost seems to happen at random. I'll be pulling the mouse down right, or somewhere, and the pointer will just jump to the top of the screen and head left, fast. It's annoying the h*ll out of me! [​IMG]

Could this be a hardware problem with the mouse? Or did I fry the mouse when I plugged it in without turning the computer off? I don't think that's it, aren't USB devices supposed to be hot-swappable?

Should I call Microsoft tech support, or should I just take the mouse back to see if it does the same behaviour on one of their computers?

2. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

what OS are you running winXP? try maybe updating your mouse drivers could be a conflict between old and new drivers. yes usb is hot swappable but with microsoft stuff you never know [​IMG] j/k im just not a big fan of their hardware, im a logitech mouse junky. I have heard of this happening before under winxp
    but I cannot remember what the fix was at this point in time.
    remember google is your friend [​IMG]

3. EricWilliam

EricWilliam Agent

you said that both were optical? im assuming you aren't using a mouse pad becasue using one can cause the behavior you describe. optical mice play much nicer on a flat hard surface like a desktop.

4. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

thats actually incorrect, optical mice run just fine on the proper mousing surface, do a little more research and you will see, ask any Gamer [​IMG]

www.func.net

or

www.ratpadz.com

for some examples [​IMG]

5. Ken.Nischan

Ken.Nischan Agent

Yea, opticals work fine on pads so long as it's not glossy or reflective. I see people using their optical mice on shiny glass topped tables and wondering why it goes all nuts on them hehe. I suppose ideally for optical would be a pad with tons of tiny specs of alternating colors for it to sample.. man what an eyesore that'd be [​IMG]

6. Mike Schmitz

Thanks for the help, everyone!

The surface area might be part of the problem. I first tried the new mouse on the (glossy wood grain) desk area, and it was really jumpy then. I retrieved the old mouse pad from where I had thrown it, but it was still jumpy at that point. It's an old one my sister bought, and it's a little grimey, not to mention the picture that's on it. The pointer might have been jumping when it roled over a certain part of the picture, but that'd be too fine a thing to test for...

I now have the mouse pad turned upside down. Hopefully the black plastic underside will keep the pointer from acting like a mexican jumping bean on crack.

If it still jumps, I think I'll either get one of those gamer pads, or go back to the store and try to return the Microsoft mouse for that Logitech MX1000 I saw. I liked the MX1000 when I saw it, but I didn't want to spend that much on a mouse. The Lithium Ion battery is a good selling point, and I think it might even be precice enough to work on my glossy wood grain desk durface. Or is the hype about the oprical sensors in the MX1000 just that?

7. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I'd go for the drivers. Remove whatever is in there and reboot, and let MS put the right one in. If the driver isn't it, it would only skip with a bad connection or dirt on the mouse bottom or the surface of the table/pad/whatever.

Oh, do remember that when you remove the drivers, you can't point and click anymore. [​IMG]

Glenn

8. Mike Schmitz

Heh. I tried removing the drivers a few days ago. Didn't help. I'll probably just get a new mousepad, but I've got bigger problems right now. I think my Maxtor hard drives may or may not be about to fail. I'll reboot the computer and write down the serial number for the drive (I can't seem to find it in the hardware profile) so that I can look it up.

If it's the Maxtor Ultra series like I think it is, I might have to buy a new HDD or two. I looked up hard drives at a shopping site and the "Maxtor Ultra Series 80GB" had one review, and it was lousy! Then again, the same site had the "Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 80GB" listed as the best reviewed, so, I dunno... :p)

I'll probably start a new thread here for pity and sympathy peer support, but I'm too tired and down in the dumps to deal with this right now.

Mike
    -wishing I was made of $$$ right about now

9. Mike Schmitz

Oh, I forgot to mention. Somerimes the mouse doesn't light up at all when I boot up or reboot. Rebooting usually activates it, but that's another annoying problem that makews me want to trade it in for another one... :p)

10. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    Mike,

I used to have that problem on a computer I had in my office, where the pointer would freak out and start closing boxes and doing all sorts of crap. Long story short, the computer died, I replaced it, using the same mouse, the problem never came back so it was a problem with the computer. It was an old wheel mouse, run through a ps/2 port.

11. Mike Schmitz

Justin,

Mmmm. I hope it's not that. Then again, I do keep having to rebuild my RAID 1 array. I think I had to do it three times in the past week. I'm going to try flash updating the BIOS and see if that helps.

Heh. I should probably also open the beast up and hit it with some compressed air... :b