Problem with Marantz SR-7000 and 6-ch input

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Yohan Pamudji, Apr 23, 2002.

1. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Second Unit

So I finally hooked up my SACD player's 6-channel output to my Marantz SR-7000's 6-channel input. I pressed the 6-channel button on the front panel of the SR-7000, the sound is fine, everything seems ok. But when I try to use the remote to change sources it stays stuck on 6-channel no matter what source I try to switch to. The display panel on the SR-7000 just blinks a few times and remains in 6-channel mode. I have to press the 6-channel button before I can switch to anything else. Does anybody have the same problem or have a solution?

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    This is not a problem, this is stated in the manual. You must manually switch between analog direct and digital/other analog inputs. I don't remember the reason for this though.

3. Pete Jennings

Pete Jennings Second Unit

I had a Pioneer Elite VSX-26TX and it was the same way, I had to get up and walk across the room to change to and from my DVD/A source. However my Marantz SR-8200 WILL change the source from the remote.
    I know this doesn't help you. [​IMG]
    Pete

4. Yohan Pamudji

This is one of those "It's not a bug; it's a feature" kind of things--just plain bad design. Oh well. At least I know it's not something I'm doing wrong.

5. John Garcia

John
    "Feature" ala Microsoft's definition of the word [​IMG]

6. Cary P

Cary P Stunt Coordinator

Yohan,

It is true that the SR7000 works this way. You can turn the 6-ch input on and off through the amp functions of the remote, however, so it is not that inconvenient - although it does seem a little strange at first.

But there is one other thing I recently noticed with the SR7000's 6-ch input that really confuses me.

I just hooked up a Sony SCD-C555ES multi-channel SACD player to the SR7000 last week, and it sounds great. However, while going into the onscreen channel level menu on the Marantz, I found that I could change the indidviual channel levels while using the 6-ch input.

Isn't the 6-ch input supposed to be a direct analog bypass? I know the Marantz has a source direct mode which I often use for two channel analog sources, and I believe the channel level and all other digital processing functions are disabled when an input is set to source direct mode. So I was really surprised to see that the channel level functions were still active when using the 6-ch input, as I am assuming the 6-ch input is also a direct analog bypass.

Can anyone else confirm this behavior on the Marantz SR-7000?

Cary

7. Cary P

Cary P Stunt Coordinator

Can anyone else change the channel levels on the Marantz SR7000 while using the 6-ch mode? Is this behavior common to all Marantz receivers?

I can only assume that the SR7000 is doing an A/D to D/A conversion on the 6-ch input. I doubt if it can change channel levels strictly in the analog domain. The unit in question is nearly two years old, so it is too late to return it. But it was my understanding that the 6-ch input of the Marantz SR7000 operated strictly in the analog domain. Kind of defeats the purpose of hi-res SACD and DVD-Audio if the signal is put through an extra conversion cycle on the 6-ch input.

Maybe I should start another thread on this topic. Or try sending an email to Marantz tech support, although they have never responded to my inquiries in the past.

Cary

8. Yohan Pamudji

I'll try this tonight/early tomorrow and post my results by tomorrow.

9. Van_H

Van_H Auditioning

Cary,

Mine does the same thing. I doubt that the SR7000 is doing A/D and D/A though as I can't detect any sonic difference between the 6-channel direct and 2-channel direct mode when playing two channel music. I actually find that to be very beneficial as you probably know that the sub output level in the C555ES is lower than the sub output level in the d-digital 5.1.

One thing I also found on the SR7000 is that when you switch from CD-Direct to 6-channel direct and back to CD input, the CD input will not retain the direct mode.

Have fun!

10. Cary P

Cary P Stunt Coordinator

Van,

It is nice to have the flexibility to adjust the channel levels through the 6-ch input on the Marantz. But I don't see how this can be done without the A/D to D/A conversion. I seriously doubt whether the Marantz has the hardware inside to do the channel level adjustments in the analog domain at the price point of this receiver.

I think I will start another thread on this topic to see if we can get to the bottom of this matter.

Cary

11. Van_H

Van_H Auditioning

Cary,

If it does, it is certainly doing a fairly good job. The SR7000 sounds horrible in CD stereo mode assuming it is doing the A/D to D/A conversion. It would be nice for get to the bottom of this though.

Van

12. Yohan Pamudji

Just wanted to confirm that my SR-7000 behaves the same way. It allows channel level adjustments for 6-channel input.

Also, the "stereo-direct" isn't really an analog bypass by any means. Stereo-bypass automatically turns the sub on regardless of how you have your mains setup.

13. Van_H

Van_H Auditioning

Yohan,

I'm not sure what you meant by stereo by-pass. Here is how my SR7000 behaves in various modes:

When front speakers are set to large:

1. Sub is inactive in 2-channel "auto" mode.

2. Sub is active in 2-channel "stereo" mode.

3. Sub is inactive in 2-channel "direct" mode.

When front speakers are set to small:

1. Sub is active in 2-channel "auto" and "stereo" modes.

2. Sub is inactive in 2-channel "direct" mode.

The same 5.1 output level applies to all inputs (e.g., DVD, CD, etc) except for 5-channel stereo and the 5-channel analog input.

Van

14. Yohan Pamudji

Oops. Meant to say "stereo-direct mode" not "stereo-bypass". Now that I think about it I think you're right. Although the manual states that stereo-direct automatically turns the sub on regardless, I think with my mains set to large the sub doesn't turn on. Strange. Too bad I'm away from my system right now. It's gonna bug me all day.

15. ChrisDixon

ChrisDixon Second Unit

Question: If your front L/R speakers are set to Small, does the SR7000's 100MHz cross-over still take place in Source Direct mode? Obviously, this would leave a big gap if you don't use the L/R pre-outs to a sub (since the sub-out is disabled). I expected that switching to Source Direct would automatically swith the L/R to Large, but that does not happen. I ask because I do like to use direct mode with a sub, and I'm not sure where to set the cutoff on the sub.

Chris

16. John Garcia

John
    Nevermind, just read Van's post.

17. Van_H

Van_H Auditioning

Chris,

The SR7000 switches the front speakers setting to "large" automatically in "direct" mode.

BTW, I've heard Denon's receivers also allow individual level adjustment in 6-channel input.

Van

18. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

19. Cary P

Cary P Stunt Coordinator

Van,

Thanks for clarifying the behavior of the Marantz and it's sub output in the various modes. I've never quite been able to figure out what's going on in the "auto" mode, and your post helped. I never realized the sub output in the "auto" mode was dependent on whether the front speakers are set to large or small.

Back to the issue of individual channel level adjustments on the 6-ch input, by what mechanism could the Marantz (or the Denon) make the individual channel level adjustments without converting the signal to digital? I'm not really an electronics engineering expert, but I just don't see how the channel level adjustments for 6 individual channels can be done strictly in the analog domain without a lot of extra hardware. I'm really stumped on this question.

I've sent a message to Marantz tech support, but have yet to receive a reply. I'll post if I get any solid info on this topic.

Cary