What's new

Problem with Marantz receiver and Rotel Cd player (1 Viewer)

Luke_R

Agent
I have a marantz sr6300 receiver and just bought a rotel rcd951 cd player and am using just analog for now, no digital cables yet and my problem is that I have to turn the marantz up full blast to make out any sound coming out of my speakers at all. I just had a cheap klh hooked up until today and never had any of these issues. Can anybody point me in the right direction. Thanks.

RobWil

Supporting Actor
Maybe your cables are connected to the variable outputs on the cd player vs the fixed outputs? If you're connecting at the variable outputs you'd have to adjust the attenuator on the front of the cd player to get any volume. You should actually be using the fixed outputs anyway.

Luke_R

Agent
At the chance at sounding like a newb I only have one pair of analog outputs as far as I can tell and then the digital output and what exactly is the attenuator, I don't see anything on the front panel to adjust the volume.

RobWil

Supporting Actor
Ooops! Never mind...it looks like that model doesn't have variable outputs. Somewhat surprising actually!

RobWil

Supporting Actor
Hmmm...same receiver and same cables, but different cd player? Is the cd player brand new?
All your other sources have sound? (Mute isn't on?)
The right source should be selected on the receiver assuming you just took the old cd player out and connected the new one.
Do you have a coax cable to test the digital output? Never mind....you said you didn't.
Just rambling a bit! Sorry!

Luke_R

Agent
Nah, cd player is used, could've been damaged during shipping, I don't think it's broken though since I put in metallica and I can hear it once I hit about +7 on my receiver. I'm going out for to stop by the marantz dealer and see if he has any opinions then I'm going to stop and buy a digital cable to test that part since I was going to buy one anyways.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Luke,

Is the ATT light on to the left of the SR-6300's front panel? If so, then the SR-6300's attenuator is on and could be causing this problem.

Also, which inputs on the back panel are you using (be sure it is analog inputs and not some of the analog outputs - been there, done that!:b)? If it is the 6 channel input you are using, there are level adjustments for those inputs in the SR-6300's setup menu. I didn't see any other adjustments for the 2 channel inputs in the manual, but they may be there in the SR-6300.

Michael

Luke_R

Agent
I got it working now. Went out and bought a digital cable and it sounds great now. Thanks for all of your help.

Luke

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks