What's new

Problem with Looney Tunes LASERDISC set (1 Viewer)

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
About ten years ago I got some of the "Golden Age of Looney Tunes" laserdisc box sets.

On Volume 2 I encountered one problem - one of the most serious I've ever had in my collection of discs. On side 3, Track 21, the Bugs Bunny short "Hare Remover", it skipped over about five seconds starting at about 47 min 52-53 sec.

I went to the store to have it replaced. There we opened another copy and tried it. It turned out that the other copy had the same problem at the same point. So I decided to keep the set I had and live with the problem.

Now, years after, it is possible to get this set for some $20 instead of the original price of a hundred.

The big question: Did my copy and the other one that I tried both just come from a bad batch of discs, or do all copies have the same problem?

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
What are the other cartoons on this disc? I seem to recall having the specific disc in my possession at one time, but I may be mistaken. One side was all gouged up because it had been playing when the LD-700 went haywire; if it was that side of course I cannot say!

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Lars, checked my copy and I don't have a skip at that time point or any other point of Hare Remover. There did seem to be a dialog skip about 10 seconds earlier when Elmer was carrying Bugs back to the Lab (like a sentence got cut off), but the time display never changed and it seemed more like a splice point in the cartoon rather than a disc problem

Chris*W

Stunt Coordinator
I also checked my box set and found no problems. I purchased Volume 2 about 3 years ago on EBay. However, I do see the same "splice" in that particular cartoon as David pointed out.

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor

The other cartoons on this particular disc are:

The Major Lied Till Dawn
Cracked Ice
Brother Brat
Plane Daffy
A Tale Of Two Mice
Behind The Meatball
Hare Remover

The other side:

The Little Lion Hunter
The Draft Horse
Flop Goes The Weasel
Lost And Foundling
Fair And Worm-er
What's Brewin' Bruin?
Rabbit Punch

This disc, though, is part of a five-disc set (GOALT vol. 2) with 70 shorts. There are four volumes with five discs each and a fifth volume with four. The five sets combined cover 330+ shorts from the 30s and 40s.

About that "splice", I don't doubt that's correct. However, my particular problem remains. It's somewhat reassuring, though, to see that two of you guys have no problems at that time point. But it could be worth mentioning that my players are not in the high-end range. It could be that I experience problems that owners of high-end LD players don't.

It would be even more reassuring (or not) to get more replies to this. But there might not be that many people who have these sets anymore - or ever had them.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
I've never had any problems with any of my Golden Age of Looney Tunes box sets.

The best place to find another copy is Ebay. Looney Tune LD prices, box sets and, especially, single discs, have taken a dive in the last year, but you'll still have trouble finding a replacement set for $20. You'll probably have to shell out $50 or so, although if you are patient you might be able to find one with a ratty box but good discs for much less.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Nope, it must have been the immediately previous disc out of the set -- had some early colour cartoons on one side [really non-Looney Tunes] and some of the WWII stuff on the other. Sorry.

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
Alan, I guess I may have to pay more than $20 for a nice copy. But volumes 1, 2 and 3 tend to be quite a bit cheaper than volume 4. Copies of 1, 2 and 3 are up on eBay now - in the 30-something range and one day and a few hours left. A copy of volume 4 is up to $57. Volume 5 seems to be a lot rarer than the others.

Chris*W

Stunt Coordinator
Volume 5 is supposedly the rarest one. I have volumes 1-3. I paid about $150 for vol. 3, but the other two I got for around $50. Hopefully when more of the LTGC DVDs come out, the prices will drop more so I can pick up the last 2 volumes.

Mark Hammon

Stunt Coordinator
It played fined on my LD player (Philips). I have encountered a similar problem you are talking about on other titles. What I mean is that a disc would skip/jump in one player but not another. I used to have a Pioneer player and every disc I owned played perfectly on it. Then a few years later I bought a Philips and it would not play some "side two" (on disc one) when it was a two disc set.

I've had this happen with some DVDs too.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I own volumes 1 through 4 and have no problems with them. I bought them when they first came out. I still view them.

As for volume five, it was my understanding that the cartoons featured were made for TV type toons (cheaper animation quality) that's why I never sought it out. But I never did confirm for sure.

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
No, Volume 5 consists of "55 complete uncut cartoons 1932-1949". But for some reason that set came out quite a while after the others.

I bought the first four volumes around 1995-96, but they had been out for a while by then (I think they were released about 1990-93). Then came Volume 5 shortly after I got the others, so I just grabbed it the first time I saw it. I didn't know then that this particular set would be gone fast. I'm not sure I ever saw another copy.

I may not have paid much attention lately, but I'm a bit surprised about the price level I see on Volume 2 and others on eBay right now. It seems to me that the level of interest must have increased over the last couple of years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks