What's new

Problem with kdf 55xs955 (1 Viewer)

Justin Boyle

Auditioning
Hello i have a sony kdf 55xs955 tv with a sony dvpns975v dvd player connected through hdmi to hdmi cable. I am not happy with the quality at points it is very grainy and doing things i have never seen. I was watching finding nemo and all the fish like nemo and marlin had like blue bubbles around them. Plus text looks very weird and credits like in the begning of spider man 2 look very grainy. I have a monster Hdmi to Hdmi cable on the way but i got impatient and bought a radio shack one to test out hdmi i was a little worried because the cable was very thin and with this cable i experienced the problem then i hooked the tv and dvd player up with a crappy component video cable and noticed not much of a difference the dvd player up converted to 1080 with hdmi with component it was only at 480 and i saw little difference. Then i thought maybe it could have been my dvd player so i hooked up my other dvd player which is also a sony (hooked it up with component) and it looked the same. Could the problem be that the radio shack cable couldent handle it or is there something wrong with my tv?

John S

Senior HTF Member
You do realize this display converts everything to 720p it's native resolution.

Any upconversion by any source connected digitally should be to 720p. (I would try this 1st).....

Often times with digital displays they will perform best using their own de-interlacer (makes it progressive scan) / scaler.

Try giving it 480i via the component connections, and see how that works for you.

Justin Boyle

Auditioning
My dvd player will not upconvert through component video so it is 480
so what your saying is that the tv can only see 720???

John S

Senior HTF Member
No, it works with all sources.

The display panel itself is 720p (HD Digital panel), everything gets converted to that resolution period.

I understand, it won't upconvert, but do you have a DVD Player that will do 480i not 480p on it's component video output.

These displays have awesome de-interlacing in them with full 3:2 pull down. You may as well try and use it.

If you send it 480p, it will only scale the signal and let the DVD player will be doing the 480i to 480p de-interlacing.

Justin Boyle

Auditioning
ok now im wondering when i get my hdmi cable my dvd player has a bunch of up converstions they are
1920 X 1080i
1280 X 720p
720 X 480p
720 X 480i

What one should i use?

Justin Boyle

Auditioning
Well i know that but when i had the radio shack cable hooked up i tried a bunch of them and it still had the problem that i stated before could it have been the radio shack cable not being thick or high end enough?

John S

Senior HTF Member
720p is the one you want to use.

The idea is to never need any further scaling, or processing.

fed 720p, the video is sent to the screen in digital. Direct 1:1 pixel mapping is the result.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks