What's new

Problem with JVC progressive DVD player? (1 Viewer)

William-V

Stunt Coordinator
Just got a little question/problem here that I’d appreciate some help with. Last summer I picked up my first progressive DVD play, a JVC. After about a month, I noticed that on a few disks, the players progressive scan auto-mode couldn’t decide which picture source it should be playing: film or video. There’s a light in the front of the player that should be green when reading a film source and red when reading a video source. When I have this problem the light switches back and forth btween colours. Also, the counter can be a little erratic and I notice the picture can be a little jittery. However, sometimes the picture is just fine, even though the light switched back and forth between red and green.

I’m just wondering if anyone can tell me if this is normal for a progressive players auto-mode?

Also, I’ve returned it 3 times, and each player has the same issue.

Thanks a lot fr advice.

Will

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
When the JVC light changes between red and green, it means the DVD title has both film and video-based editted sections, this is common on some sources like TV shows on DVD. If the light glows orange, the title has the alternating progressive flag problem and you should manually select FILM mode in the setup menu for such titles. In general with any of these problem titles, manually force a mode with the JVC setup menu, FILM mode or one of the video modes.

William-V

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks very much for the response. I never thought this could be from different sources edited together. Does this happen with movies too? I just assumed that the source for a movie would be 100% film with no video. I was watching the Younge Guns Special edition the other night and noticed my player switch from green to red several times. I’m not sure and will have to check, but I think it may have switched a few times while in the same shot. Is that possible?

Will

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Yes even with some movies, they convert it to video and then edit it there - messing up the 3:2 pulldown sequence, its more common with TV episodes than movies however. Try forcing the JVC mode to FILM and see if you see any combing during those sequences where you know it switches between red and green.

William-V

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks a lot. I REALLY appreciate your input. This has been bugging me for a while now, and I thought there was something wrong with my (3rd) player, or I was just very unlucky and buying one defective DVD after another.

I'll check those scenes with the mode switched from auto to film and see what happens.

Will

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Those poorly flagged DVD titles are one reason the Faroudja and Silicon Image de-interlacers are popular, they can switch in and out of FILM mode faster and with higher picture quality than the cheaper de-interlacers in the JVC and other under $300 players.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
I had an iScan (Silicon Image de-interlacer) with similar colored lights for film and video mode. It was normal for it to switch between film and video mode for the reasons described above, but if you have picture problems or jitters, then the de-interlacer in your player or TV is not the best. To me, the need to manually select a mode is also the mark of a less than excellent de-interlacer.

I "kinda liked" to see when the mode changed. But I upgraded to a different de-interlacer unit that does not have colored lights for this.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks