What's new

Problem with JVC player (1 Viewer)

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Problem: the video cuts-out on my JVC XV-S62 progressive scan DVD player. When the machine is first turned-on the screen turns black and says "reading disk", but then everything turns blue.

The progressive-scan light is on, and I have a SDTV. i think if the progressive-scan could be turned-off, I might be able to return to watching DVDs, But I can't find the instruction book and the "progressive scan" button on the remote isn't doing anything (maybe theres an on-screen menu I should be seeing?).

Any help out there?

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
The remote should have a button labeled "Setup" that allows you to enter the player's main setup menu. It is here that you can switch off progressive scan. Some older players had an on/off switch for the progressive scan mode in back but I doubt yours has that. You could check though. Your SDTV cannot display a progressive signal. To display a progressive signal you need an EDTV or HDTV capable set. You didn't mention it, but how is your player connected to the TV? A progressive signal cannot be transmitted over composite or S-Video. Progressive is possible over component connections, but, even if your TV has component inputs doesn't necessarily mean it can accept a progressive signal.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
My player is connected with an S-video cable, so maybe I just have a broken player? Oh well, been meaning to get a new player anyway.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Garrett, you can simply disable the progressive-scanning on your player — from, as Chuck notes, the setup menu or from the front- or back-panel control. Then you'll get your video.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
There is no button/switch on the machine itself. And I can't see any onscreen information to work the set-up menu with. :frowning:

Damn you modern technology!

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Garrett, isn't there a button on the remote labeled "Setup?" Most if not all DVD players I have owned or seen have a "Setup" button on the remote that accesses the players setup screens.

Adil M

Supporting Actor
There is a button called "?VQP." Keep it held untill it switches from Progressive to Interlaced.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
huzzah! picture restored!:emoji_thumbsup: I didn't know I had to hold the VFP button for several seconds. I am now in your debt and owe you a cold one should you ever stop by. now I'm off to watch a movie! :D

Adil M

Supporting Actor
Garret,
Next time you are considering a purchase just give me a call.
That way I can try to keep you in my debt ;).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks