Problem with JVC player

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Garrett Lundy, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Problem: the video cuts-out on my JVC XV-S62 progressive scan DVD player. When the machine is first turned-on the screen turns black and says "reading disk", but then everything turns blue.

The progressive-scan light is on, and I have a SDTV. i think if the progressive-scan could be turned-off, I might be able to return to watching DVDs, But I can't find the instruction book and the "progressive scan" button on the remote isn't doing anything (maybe theres an on-screen menu I should be seeing?).

Any help out there?

2. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

The remote should have a button labeled "Setup" that allows you to enter the player's main setup menu. It is here that you can switch off progressive scan. Some older players had an on/off switch for the progressive scan mode in back but I doubt yours has that. You could check though. Your SDTV cannot display a progressive signal. To display a progressive signal you need an EDTV or HDTV capable set. You didn't mention it, but how is your player connected to the TV? A progressive signal cannot be transmitted over composite or S-Video. Progressive is possible over component connections, but, even if your TV has component inputs doesn't necessarily mean it can accept a progressive signal.

3. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

My player is connected with an S-video cable, so maybe I just have a broken player? Oh well, been meaning to get a new player anyway.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Garrett, you can simply disable the progressive-scanning on your player — from, as Chuck notes, the setup menu or from the front- or back-panel control. Then you'll get your video.

5. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

There is no button/switch on the machine itself. And I can't see any onscreen information to work the set-up menu with. [​IMG]

Damn you modern technology!

6. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Garrett, isn't there a button on the remote labeled "Setup?" Most if not all DVD players I have owned or seen have a "Setup" button on the remote that accesses the players setup screens.

7. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

There is a button called "?VQP." Keep it held untill it switches from Progressive to Interlaced.

8. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

huzzah! picture restored![​IMG] I didn't know I had to hold the VFP button for several seconds. I am now in your debt and owe you a cold one should you ever stop by. now I'm off to watch a movie! [​IMG]

9. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

Garret,
    Next time you are considering a purchase just give me a call.
    That way I can try to keep you in my debt [​IMG].