Problem with "jaggies"

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jeffrey_J, Jun 28, 2003.

1. Jeffrey_J

Jeffrey_J Guest

I recently purchased a 27” Sony Wega (KV-27FS210). The picture is great especially compared to my 20” Panasonic I had been watching for the past few years. My only concern is that I am now really noticing “jaggies” when watching DVD’s. I searched this site for some information. From what I understand I am simply noticing them more now because my screen size is bigger and I have a more detailed picture. My old television was simply too small and soft of a picture to show them clearly. If I wanted to eliminate or at least drastically reduce “jaggies” I would need to purchase a HDTV so I could take advantage of a progressive scan DVD player.

I am using component video cables to connect to my DVD player (Panasonic DVD-RV32) and calibrated my television using Avia to the best of my abilities. I have the sharpness set relatively low and have also made sure to disable velocity modulation. I guess I would just feel better if someone could tell me for certain that this is normal and know matter what television I might have bought similar to the Sony Wega (with the exception of a HDTV), I would be noticing “jaggies”. The Sony is such a beautiful set compared to my old Panasonic and wouldn’t you know the only thing I can focus on is “jaggies”. I knew something like this was going to happen.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Welcome to HTF, Jeffrey.

You are now paying the price of becoming a critical A/V enthusiast. The "jaggies" are the most common form of interlacing artifact, and, as you correctly surmised, the larger the display the more obvious the artifacting.

Until you get a progressive scan-capable display (with 2:3 pulldown motion compensation), the jagged diagonal lines on your interlaced-only display will be there.

Enjoy that set in the meantime, though. It should serve you well in this interim period.

3. Jeffrey_J

Jeffrey_J Guest

Jack, thank you for your response. You told me exactly what I wanted to hear. I feel a lot better knowing that this is just a fact of life and would be noticing this on any interlaced-only display I might have bought. Maybe now I can get down to some serious movie watching – well at least until I notice the next little problem the set has. Again, thanks very much.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Yes, enjoy the movies. The jaggies should be a tad less noticeable in the Sony's 16:9 mode when you're screening 16:9-encoded DVDs.

5. Frank@N

[email protected] Screenwriter

6. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

No jaggies on my new 30" Akai in 16x9 mode. At least nothing apparent to my eyes. I'm about 6.5 feet back from the set. Maybe JeffreyJ has yet to try the enhanced mode?

I do have other issues on my set but these can only be solved in the service mode which I cannot get into. [​IMG]

7. Jeffrey_J

Jeffrey_J Guest

Thanks everyone for suggesting I try the 16:9 mode. Unfortunately, I have been taking advantage of it right along and noticed the “jaggies” from the beginning, which prompted me to start this thread. Although, like was mentioned by Jack, the “jaggies” are a little less noticeable when using it. I’ve also noticed now that I got a few movies under my belt that the degree in which they can be seen varies depending on the DVD. Perhaps this is because of the dreaded edge enhancement I’ve read about in this great forum.