What's new

Problem with HSU or me!!! (1 Viewer)

Mike:Corb

Stunt Coordinator
Alright I have purchased a sony 27" TV, a STF-2, Harman 225, Pioneer 563A, and the ventriloquist system. I am very happy with everything except the speakers. I was brought up with B&W speakers and I think I was just expecting to much. I know they are suppose to take care of the midbass problem, but I still find myself wanting more. I am wondering if it would be better to just get an awsome pair of bookshelves, say the CBM-170. I could upgrade in the future but probably not for a while. I will be using my speakers for 75% HT and 25% Music. I also just want to say the HSU is a great company, I am very happy with my subwoofer and that I just want more in my speakers. If there are other suggestions for speakers, please suggest. Was also considering the Paradigm and NHT. Also, with only 55watts from my HK225. I would like a speaker that is efficient enough for some nice output. Lastly, this will be in a dorm for a year, and then a apartment. Please help me out guys, I really respect your opinions. Thanks

Stunt Coordinator
I am also very seriously considering the HTM-200. My main question is if only 2 channels off excellent speakers, will be better then the ventriloquist.

Stunt Coordinator
I noticed the problem when a plane was flying in a movie. My parents have 8 year old B&W floor standers, dual speaker center channel, and paradigm surrounds. I feel with my new setup that I am not getting the amount of midbass I would like. I know its not fair to compare the 2, but I am just telling you how I know I am missing midbass. Also, since its going in a dorm, maybe only 2 awsome speakers would be better becuase of the how little the rooms are. I have never heard a movie in 2 channel mode with nice speakers.

Also, I stopped at my local Hi-fi place and they had some NHT SB-1's and I loved them. I heard that they take a decent amount of power though so I kinda ruled them out. What do you guys think I should do? Will a movie sound good on just a pair of CDM-170's or HTM-200's.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
IMO, nothing is an acceptable substitute for larger speakers for every surround channel.

All my surround speakers are large, multiple driver units with rated extension to 55 Hz or lower (with 42 Hz being the lowest) and power handling in the 150-250 watt range. Between seven surround channels, I have a total of nine tri-lam dome tweeters, twelve 6.5" midrange drivers, and four 5.25" midrange drivers, and they project into the room with a huge soundstage and effortless ease that tiny sats can only dream about.

I run them all on small at 80 Hz with a 12 dB/octave high pass filter slope to conserve AVR amp power and to reduce IM distortion. Even set to small with an 80 Hz xo, their bass capabilities are not wasted; they all extend well down into the 60 Hz region before trailing off.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Mike,

As nice as I think the Ventriloquist is, everyone is right in saying that size matters. :)

The CBM-170 is a great bookshelf speaker, but I would wait until you got into your dorm room so you know exactly what kind of space you are dealing with.

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor

There a lot of factors at play here. First of all I would look at the basics:

1-Make sure your mains and center are in phase.
2-That there are no gaps in the crossover region between the sub and the mains. (sub set at too low crossover freq.)
3- That the processor is setup properly and that you have it set for "small" mains.

Placement can also be at play here as well as room nodes.

In any event this is not a subwoofer issue since it is midbass you are lacking and not deep bass.

Stunt Coordinator
bump, come on guys. I just need to know how HT would sound in a dorm on a nice pair of bookshelves versus a 5.1 setup of the ventriloquist.

Chris A H

Stunt Coordinator
OK. If you are really 75% HT then you will feel more is missing immediately without the center channel and surrounds. Can you live wihout the "surround" experience in your dorm room?

I'd keep the Vents and upgrade the mains next if 75HT/25 Music is the mix.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks