What's new

Problem with HK AVR-525 Need help! (1 Viewer)

I have a Harmon Kardon AVR-525 which worked fine for 4 years until last night. Over the last several months, the green lights on the right side of the display had been flickering, but the unit worked fine...till last night. Turned it on, and the green lights on the right side did not light up at all, and worst of all, no sound at all. No sound from cable box, dvd player, or when I tried to use the tuner. My dilema is this, is it worth trying to get it fixed, and if not, can anyone recommend a suitable replacement for $400 or less? I do not need a top of the line $1000 receiver, but I do need enough inputs to connect my hdtv, dvd player, Wii, and Ipod, both optical and component connections. The 525 is such a sweet receiver in opinion, it sucks that it died!
Feel free to email me at [email protected] or even call my cell at 704-957-2641. I live in Charlotte NC

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Try un-plugging the receiver from the wall for 5 minutes. If that doesn't work, try resetting it. With the receiver in stand-by mode, push the Surround Mode and Tuner Mode buttons. The front display will read "Reset". This will clear all of your settings in the memory but it might work. Otherwise I doubt it would be worth it to repair it. For $400 I'd look into the Onkyo 605 or 606, the Yamaha 663 or the new Pioneer 1018 when it comes out. If you don't need a receiver with HDMI 1.3 then also look at last years models Marantz and Denon and the Pioneer 1017. You should still be able to find them new. Or the 247 if you want to stick with H/K.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Does the power/standby switch turn and stay green? From what I can recall, just about every serious problem prevents that standby LED from staying green.

A quick look at the schematics shows the right green LEDs are powered by a +5V supply (the ones on the left by a -5V supply). I suppose it is possible the +5V supply fuse failed...that should cause a fair number of things to quit (I think...without checking). I have serviced several of this series for friends etc. (I'm not a service-person), usually replacing memory caps, but I also noticed some of the slow-blow fuses will fail, I guess from aging. Actually, some of the higher-power PS resistors age from heat and IIRC they were what caused the SB fuses to eventually fail. HK specs these SB fuses VERY closely.

I know, mumbo-jumbo. Bottom line is to open the case (unplugged) and check ALL the fuses. These AVRs can be kinda miserable to work on, even to get at all the fuses, just be careful. Maybe you can fix the problem for a buck if it's a fuse. And make sure all the connectors going to the front panel are in solidly, though I don't see how they could come loose, they are well anchored.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mikezerby
Recent bookmarks