What's new

problem with getting progressive scan with proper resolution to work please help (1 Viewer)

mike jau

Auditioning
ok i used fathers day to manipulate my mom into buying a ws-a55 mitsubishi tv and a dd-6030 mitsubishi dvd player from best buy....i know you shouldnt buy quality tvs from a place like that but i live in northern michigan and my opions are very limited. so im new to the whole hdtv thing im much more into computers but i figured i could figure this out. well i got the yPbPr monster cable and from what i would understand id connect that to a component input on the tv and i should be able to get some kind of good resolution. i can only get 480i or 480p and i cant even tell the difference in the two. now i was beliving that because i dont have a hdtv decoder yet for my direct tv that id be able to get high res from watching a dvd. ive read the manuals and gone threw the menus and im stumped. theres no way this is as good as it gets and im sure im either doing something wrong or missing something. and since my dads old fashion he naturally thinks the tvs way to big and is threating to take it back if i cant figure this out and wow him with it. so if you have and suggestions id totally appreciate it and thanks in advance

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The TV's line doubling feature might be making it tough to discern the difference between 480i and 480p. Once you do get a HDTV source, you should be able to see a difference in terms of video quality.

Also, give the set some time to break in, but you should take precautions not to run the TV's picture/brightness setting too high. Calibration of the set is also recommended to get the best picture possible (via Avia or Video Essentials as a first step, and later, professional video calibration if you can swing the investment).

mike jau

Auditioning
yes but its kinda hard for me to be able to get the satelite upgrade i need causei just spent so much money and i was gonna use regular tv rt now and i thought i could watch dvds in high qaulity so i know theres got to be some way

mike jau

Auditioning
ok i did some reading im gonna get a avis disk and i understand i need to break in the tv but i thought i should be able to get something better tha 480p on dvds in fact i thought it should look as good as hdtv. also i find that the less contrast i have the worse it looks so im running at like 45% any less it looks terible and also i should have got the one from sears and got the ws-a55311 and i dont know if it would be worth taking the one back to best buy and then getting it from sears. and well i guess i feel genuinly dissapointedand i need to find someway to do something really cool with it until then its just not that great

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
DVDs are encoded in 480p. They don't get any better than that. You should make sure that your dvd player is progressive to get even that.

With the kind of expectations you have, 'the one from sears' isn't going to look any better.

Josh_SR

Stunt Coordinator
i had the same problem with my tv when i bout it...... it is hdtv with 480p and i didnt knowtic anything better UNTILL i went back to my old tv..... then i could totaly knowtic the lines in my old tv..... watch your new tv for about a week then try going back to your old tv and you will knowtic the differance.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Actually ... DVD's are encoded in 480i ... but with the proper flags in place to create a 480P image. It saves space.

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks