Problem with Fog, has anyone else...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John M. Ford, Aug 26, 2002.

1. John M. Ford

John M. Ford Agent

During the opening when the quote from Poe is shown, and again when Father Malone first discoverd the book, imbedded FRENCH! subtitles appear on screen. I made sure that I had the subtitles turned off on both the disc and my player, (an old 2107 Toshiba). Has anyone else had this happen or has any idea what the problem is? Thanks.
    johnf

2. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    I don't have The Fog as of yet, but I have had this problem with other discs. During an episode of the Jeffersons, a pair of His and Hers towels are shown on the screen, and my player automatically displays the Spanish translation. Also, a location description during Big Trouble in Little China automatically displays in French (I believe). When there are on-screen words that need to be translated, some players apparently can't handle whatever flag tells the player to translate. Others had the problem with BTiLC.

BTW, I don't have a Toshiba. I've got a Sony SVP-S560D.

3. John M. Ford

John M. Ford Agent

Thanks for the info Greg. So, should I just hang on to this disc and live with the problem or try a replacment disc? Opinions anyone?
    johnf

4. Greg_S_H

Greg
    You could try a replacement, but I bet it's a player problem. I'll try to pick up a copy tomorrow, and I'll let you know if I have the same problem. No guarantees since our players are different, but mine is obviously susceptible.

Hopefully, in the meantime, someone with the disc and a Toshiba will weigh in.

5. Greg_S_H

Greg
    John, I got the disc, and am not getting the subtitle problem. You might try replacing your disc and, if that one still does it, I think you'll just have to overlook it while watching the disc.

If you got it somewhere like Best Buy, you could more than likely throw it in one of their players to see if you can replicate the problem. Ask at the exchange counter.

6. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

How much screen time are we speaking of here? 20 seconds max.? Is it really worth exchanging discs for this mini-problem?
    BTW....I just ordered THE FOG, and eagerly await its arrival! [​IMG]

7. Mike Friedrich

Mike Friedrich Stunt Coordinator

I'm having a problem with "Tales From the Mist - 'Inside The Fog'" documentary freezing up, begining at around 2:52 minutes running time with complete lockup at 4:18.
    Can anyone else check or verify this problem,
    I'm using a Pioneer Elite DVL-91 .
    bodym[​IMG]v'n

8. HenrikTull

HenrikTull Second Unit

I'm betting John has a Sony DVD player as do I. The problem is with the player and I have the same issues with all Fox titles if I go thru all the subtitles and then go back to have them off the french subtitle track is still active. AND since Fox includes french audio tracks the french subtitles tracks are only used to subtitle on screen text. I'm guessing MGM did the same with the Fog.

Edit. Read now that John has a Toshiba, but I guess it could affect that player as well.

One more edit. The way to get rid of this problem is either go in the discs menu and select off on subtitles OR (I can this on my Sony) select english subtitles and then select OFF.

9. Jerry AZ

Jerry AZ Stunt Coordinator

The problem I had was that chapter 27 on would not play. found that the disk had what looked like small bubbles under the surface. Returned it to Deep Discount and they sent me another, but this one looks even worse. [​IMG]
    I'll try it out tonight to see if the same problem occurs, but I would suggest checking the CD itself for problems.

10. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

I haven't seen this discussed anywhere, but it would appear that "The Fog" is a DVD-14, with the widescreen side (with all the supplements) being dual-layered, and the pan-and-scan side being single layer. Very cool.

-Lyle J.P.

11. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

Most often or not, the problems with auto subtitles are to do with the player's set up. Make sure all the appropriate setting in the player's set up are correct (menu language, default subtitles etc.)