Problem with DTS sound

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Randy_Ro, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Randy_Ro

Randy_Ro Auditioning

Ok, all you HT guru's out there, I'm hoping you can help me with a sound problem. In my original setup, I was running a digital coax cable from my dvd player to the receiver. Everything was working fine, Dolby Digital and DTS. I've since changed out the coax cable and replaced it with a fiber optical cable. Dolby Digital works fine, but I can't get any sound using DTS. Any ideas? This is really driving me crazy!

Thanks

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Shouldn't have changed as a result of a change in cable type: but maybe your receiver or DVD player has a different setting for the different digital inputs/outputs.

I would double check the settings in your DVD menu (make sure that DD and DTS are both on and turned to bitstream in the audio setup menu).

Also check the settings in your receiver. Make sure the optical input is assigned to the correct mode, and all decoing modes for that input are enabled.

-Vince

3. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

It may be that your receiver was probably set up by default to assume that you used coax. You will need to go into the setup menu to tell the receiver that you are now using optical. However, that doesn't explain why you still get DD O.K. Check your user manual.

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

are you using the same or different dvd? you may want to ensure that you're choosing the dts option from the dvd menu itself...not from the dvd player menu.

5. Randy_Ro

Randy_Ro Auditioning

Thanks guys, I can't believe how quick I got responses!

Anyway, I just got it working. DTS was set to OFF on the dvd player (go figure). What I still don't understand is how DTS was working fine hooked up coax, unless by changing the cable to fiber it changed the setting on the dvd player to DTS OFF (which makes no sense at all). Oh well, it's working once again!

Thanks

6. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer