Problem with DPL2 on older mono movies?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ReggieW, Sep 29, 2001.

1. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

I just purchased a Denon 1802, and have a problem getting DD 2.0 films such as Citizen Kane and Cape Fear to go multi-channel and use all five speakers. Could It be that this effect (DPL2) only works for television and music? I would please appreciate any help and advice you may offer.
    Thanks,
    RC

2. Alan Wild

Alan Wild Stunt Coordinator

I was under the impression that the DPL2 algorithem only works for a Stereo source signal so you shouldn't be getting 5 channel sound. [​IMG]
    Personally, I generally don't like DSP modes (I'm not including DPL/DPL2 in this), however there is one I would love to see for "Mono" Movies.
    Rather than collapsing the sound entirely into the center channel in 5.1 mode or having to turn on Stereo mode (which doesn't do a particuliarly good job of anchoring sound to the screen.....
    I want to see a "DSP" that directs the mono audio out of all three front speakers so it fills the entire front soundstage. Now, the Left and Right speakers should be player back at a lower amplitude then the center channel as not to too adversely effect the sound "anchoring".
    Anyone else have thoughts on this?

3. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Reggie: On many older movies, such as the ones you list, 2.0 Dolby Digital is still mono. Both the left and right channels are identical. Mono DD is not always 1.0. If you want get quasi-surround, set your processor to Mono Movie for these types of soundtracks. The Mono Movie DSP can be adjusted for room size and effect level.
    Alan: I agree with you. Many DSPs are often "overdone".
    I have had a fair amount of experience with the Sony, Yamaha and Denon Mono Movie modes. I like the Denon version the best. It has the least echo while still sounding spacious.
    ------------------

4. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Alan, I'd like that front-3 mode too. I watch alot of old movies on DVD and LD. Best wishes!
    ------------------
    Rachael, the big disc cat! "...Mandrake, have you ever seen a commie drink water..."
    AFI Film Challenge, hey I've only got 1 to go!

5. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Many thanks for all of your replies! I figured that DPL2 required a stereo source. I have been in the entire day trying to iron out the bells and whistles on the 1802, and had a problem setting the "mono movie" DSP mode earlier. I will try again when I view Citizen Kane tonight.
    Reg