What's new

Problem with DLP projector - Green sheen or cast (1 Viewer)

PaulA

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul Ahmed
Hi - I have owned and used a Sharp XV-Z9000U DLP projector for about 7 years now....it was already installed in a home I purchased. While I have enjoyed the system, I don't really know that much technically about HT systems. For some time now, I've had a problem with an occasional green sheen or cast on exactly the left half of the screen. It used to come and go sporadically, now it pretty much is there all the time. By tapping lightly on the Sharp projector, I can make the green cast go away, but it returns quickly now and is there more often that not. I recently replaced the bulb, but this did not change the incidence of the green cast. Is this an issue that sounds familiar to anyone or can anyone help me to understand what is wrong and/or a way to correct it? I know that DLP (and LCD) projectors are very affordable these days, but I hope to find a quick/cheap fix. Any advise is greatly appreciated!

PaulA

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul Ahmed
Thank you for the reply. Is the color wheel something easier/economically replaced? Or not? Sorry if this is a stupid question.....

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Originally Posted by PaulA
Thank you for the reply. Is the color wheel something easier/economically replaced? Or not? Sorry if this is a stupid question.....

I had a Sharp 10K projector for a little over 5 years before it started to give a whinning sound, which is typically color wheel related. While it is possible to replace one yourself it is not the easiest of jobs and may even be difficult to find the parts without being a qualified service center. The quote I was given for having the color wheel replaced was around $600.

I decided to just put the money into a new projector instead, 5 years was a pretty good run as was your 7. The only bad part is your recent bulb purchase which would then be a loss at this point.

Projector capabilities continue to go up while the price goes down. My Sharp 10K cost me $6800 back in 2003 and that was a great price at the time. My 1080p Sony SXRD replacement was $3000 a few years ago, and there are some well thought of LCD's for around $2000. Lots of options.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Originally Posted by PaulA

Thank you for the reply. Is the color wheel something easier/economically replaced? Or not? Sorry if this is a stupid question...

The problem is that the wheel itself probably isn't the issue. The color wheel is rapidly spinning dics divided into three equal sections, one red, one blue and one green. By synching with the DLP lamp and mirrors, the color wheel displays earch color in turn so rapidly that your brain assembles the three images into one full-color picture. The timing is the critical piece here. Your issue sounds like a synchronization problem, which could be caused by the wheel itself, but which could also be caused by problems in the control circuitry. I'd call an authorized repair center for an estimate - and check out prices for new projectors at the same time.

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks