What's new

Problem with Dish Network optical out? Turns off instead of silence? (1 Viewer)

JohnGoggan

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone here use the optical out on their Dish Network receiver? Specifically, I have the DishPVR501 unit -- and I am having some trouble with it.

Basically, it appears that during channel changes and paused TV, the unit turns OFF the output -- as opposed to sending silence out. My receiver (a Sony HT-DDW740) seems to pause for a second or two when it first gets an optical signal before actually using it and outputting audio. Therefore, every time I paused and then unpause, I get 1-2 seconds of video before the audio kicks back in -- which, of course, is highly annoying.

I spoke with someone else -- and, for him, he gets a slight popping sound when he changes channels. I think this is for the same reason -- his receiver is kicking the output off and then on again each time he changes the channel because the Dish box stops outputting an optical signal each time.

Basically, the Dish box should output SILENCE instead, right? To keep the receiver happy that a signal is always coming in?

Any thoughts on that? Anyone with a DishPVR unit that can confirm the same thing?

Thanks!

- John...

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I have a PVR501 and I can check it. Does your Sony have a "lock" indicator, if it does and you see it losing lock, then it is exactly because the 501 is dropping the signal rather than just "silence". As far as the popping sound, I have that problem with DVDs from my Panasonic A120, usually during menu navigations but not a problem at all changing channels. But I can check to see if the signal is losing lock when changing channels.

My problem with the optical out is that it is almost always on, even when the unit is off. It's a problem because I have a splitter cause I share the optical connection on my DD processor with my x-box. I have to disconnect the 501's optical out when I use my x-box because of this stupid bug that Dish can't seem to bother to fix. (they're already aware of this simply fix)

Jay

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Hi John, I can confirm that it does lose a signal between channel changes, but my processor has no problem with it.
You can try to ask Dish tech support about this but they'll probably tell you that's a function of your receiver/processor. I was told that by Panasonic when I have had problems with the DVD player. It is software controlled the timing between lock and unlock and unfortunately, quick pauses can cause transients being picked up by the processor and sent downstream, sending sometimes really loud spikes to your speakers. Sucks, but Sony is probably gonna say that there is nothing they can do about it which is BS, it's just would cost them a bunch of change to fix. Seriously, I'd try to contact DishNetwork but I wouldn't hold your breath on a change.. I'm still waiting for the fix to my problem and it's been a long time. :frowning:
Jay

Luis C

Stunt Coordinator
Depending on the version of the PVR you have, you might need a firmware update. Check w/Dish Network to make sure you have the latest firmware available. If I remember correctly, the early units had this issue and one of the firmware updates corrected this problem.

Bob Bartlett

Stunt Coordinator
I have this problem also. The signal is still locked on mine unless I am going thru several channels and then I lose the lock, but I get a popping/thumping from the sub whether it loses the lock or not. It's not very loud. Doesn't seem to happen on every channel. Don't have this problem with any other components. Funny thing is I never noticed it until I got the latest firmware update. 165 I believe.

JohnGoggan

Stunt Coordinator
Luis: The PVR units download their firmware automatically via satellite. I have the latest version. In fact, it appears to have gotten worse with the latest version (v165). Hopefully, they'll fix it in an update...

Bob: I actually notice more because of when I pause -- simply because it takes my Sony a couple seconds to lock when I resume. I'm hoping that they'll just fix that by outputting silence when pause (and stay locked) instead of actually shutting off the optical.

It's ironic that they have a bug where the optical shuts off when it shouldn't -- since they also have a bug where the optical doesn't shut off at all when the unit is powered off. heh.

- John...

DeT

Agent
don't know if this have anything to do with anything, but I have the same problem on my DirecTV RCA DRD450RG receiver with optical out.

Whenever I change the channel, the display on my Denon 3802 would switch to analog instead of digital with no sound, then after 1 second in that channel, the display would then switch back to digital with sound. The picture on the other hand would show up instantly, only the sound come after 1 second or something.

On 2 channels, IFC and Comedy Central, the sound and picture just keep skipping once every 20 seconds of viewing. So on my receiver display, it just keep switching between analog and digital... Funny thing, it only happen to that 2 channels. Oh well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks