Problem with Dish 6000 and 480P broadcasts

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert_M, Jun 12, 2001.

1. Robert_M

Robert_M Auditioning

I currently have the Dish 6000 receiver with the 8VSB and find that all SD programming and 1080i look just fine, but it's stations broadcasting in 480P or 720P that I have problems with. When I view one of the stations broadcasting in the above formats I get jagged edges around all the objects. While the resolution and color look fine, it is impossible to watch.
    I have sent e-mails to Dish to find out what is wrong, but haven't heard back yet. Has anyone else noticed the same? I think it has something to do with the upconvert to 1080i for the component output in HD mode. If I switch to SD mode using an S-Video connection, the channels look fine.
    Thanks.
    Robert

2. Patrick Bennett

Patrick Bennett Stunt Coordinator

I don't recall having problems with the 480p broadcasts, but the local ABC station that broadcasts in 720p gives me the same problems you've described. The picture is awful.
    If I set it to output at 720p, then it looks much better, but the picture stops and pixellates often (even though I have a 90% signal strength).
    I too sent an email to Dish (about 2 weeks ago) that I've yet to receive a reply for.
    ------------------
    The Bennett Home Theater: http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...654&a=12500765

3. Robert_M

Robert_M Auditioning

I have it for both. Now if the same station upconverts it to 1080i, it looks fine. This is the case with many programs on KTLA here in L.A.
    I wish my TV accepted 720P so I could see if ABC comes in better, but it only accepts 480i, 480P and 1080i. If I switch the 6000 to 720P, my picture goes away completely and I can here the relay for the component inputs switching off in my TV.
    Oh well.