What's new

Problem with digital optical output (1 Viewer)

ms3370

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
If my cablebox is outputting a digital signal via an HDMI cable that is connected to my t.v., doesn't it make sense to use an optical digital out cable from my t.v. to my receiver to get digital sound output through my 5.1 channel surround sound speakers? I am getting nothing. When I connect the optical digital cable directly from my cablebox to my receiver - it works fine. The reason I want to get the digital sound out of my t.v., is because I also have a dvd player connected to it via another HDMI cable.

I realize that the signal must be a digital one - and it is (on some channels). Can anyone help?

Also, is there a better way to get the digital sound output from my t.v. to my surround sound receiver?

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
The digital out from the tv is probably for the built-in tuner, when watching over the air HD tv. Not for a "Daisy Chain" hookup.
Use the HDMI from cable box to tv, and use the optical from the box, to the receiver. Also from dvd, use HDMI to tv, and optical or digital coax out to receiver. This is going to be the only way to get surround, unless your receiver has HDMI inputs, and can process the audio, over HDMI.

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor
Ed is probably right about your TV's audio output but to be sure -- what make and model is your TV? There just *may* be a way to configure the digital output through an advanced audio menu setting.

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor
Refer to page 86 & 87 of your manual and try setting your TV speakers to "OFF" and audio level at "fixed". If that doesn't force the TV to output sound to your receiver I don't know what would.

fcosta

Auditioning
Real Name
Franck Costa
I just got a new Samsung 3D 55" tv (UN55C7000) and a Blu-Ray Home Theater(HT-BD7200 - 2.1 system) and I am having problems with getting sound out of the speakers when I am watching tv.

I conected the TV to the Receiver through a HDMI cable and the Receiver to the Comcast cable box through a HDMI as well. Than I conected the Receiver to the TV via a digital optical cable. The thing is that I am not getting any sound out of the speakers when watching TV. If I conect the digital optical from the Receiver to the cable box I can get the sound, but if I am watching Netflix through my TV I will get the sound of the channel that I was watching before I conected to Netflix instead of the sound of the movie itself.....

Bottom line: as far as I know, the digital optical is supposed to be connected from the TV to the receiver. What should I do in order to get sound out of the Home Theater speakers when watching regular TV and Netflix/Blockbuster? Samsung sent someone over today to replace the main board of the TV with the Audio output and didn't work out. I don't think the problem is with the TV. Any thoughts? I would appreciate a lot :)

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor
Most TVs won't output external digital audio back through the optical output - only the digital audio from the TV's onboard tuner. Seems like since Netflix is being generated by the TVs onboard streaming capability that the TV would output the audio via optical --- but apparently they didn't include that feature/capability ... which is pretty stupid on the designer's part IMHO...

zstarsales04

Auditioning
Real Name
Iris Lau
Zstar Electronic Co.Ltd, Sell fire cards for DS/NDSL/NDSi, also have Wii, DSiLL, NDSi, NDSL, PSP2000, PSP3000, PS2, PS3, PSP go, PSP, Xbox360 accessories, all kinds of phones are available
www.zstar.hk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks