What's new

Problem with Denon 3802 (1 Viewer)

NishanF

Auditioning
I had this receiver for about a week and have a strange problem. I initially played a dolby digital dvd via the digital coax input. Four or five times during the movie a horrendous scratching/crackling noise occured for 2-3 seconds. The noise wasn't reproducible on a certain portion of the movie. If I replayed the scene the noise wouldn't reoccur. I switched to analog and no problem.
On friday I played a DTS DVD via digital coax. No problem.
This weekend I played another dolby digital dvd via coax and again had the same noise. On sunday I bought a optical cable and tried that. Same problem. I even borrowed a friend's brand new DVD player and same problem. It happens with all my dolby digital DVD at random points.
I haven't seen this problem mentioned anywhere else.
Any ideas. Thanks,
Nishan

Arthur Legardo

Second Unit
Real Name
ArthurL
This sounds familiar...I used to have this problem with my previous receiver, a Yamaha RX-V793. To be honest, I don't know what the problem could be. It maybe a flakey DD decoder or may just be a bad digital coaxial cable; try swapping out the cable for an optical cable. Fortunately, I haven't had a problem with my 3802.

NishanF

Auditioning
Arthur
Thanks for the info. I tried an optical cable and had the same problem. Did your receiver ever get fixed?
thanks,
[Edited last by NishanF on October 15, 2001 at 09:56 PM]

Arthur Legardo

Second Unit
Real Name
ArthurL
No, my Yamaha has been retired and is now doing 2 channel duty in my living room. My 3802 has been fine since I picked it up about a couple of months ago. (knock on wood)

Users who are viewing this thread