problem with Dayton ground loop video filter...

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Anthony*B, Feb 19, 2004.

1. Anthony*B

Anthony*B Stunt Coordinator

hey guys, I ordered this little device as a last resort to try & kill the ground loop hum that is apparently causing my speakers/sub to hum/buzz...is there some secret to where I'm supposed to attach this? i attached it at every possible place inside the house i could think of between the coax coming in & the sat receiver...it would not let a signal through anywhere, as I always got the "searching for satellite signal" message on screen...any ideas? (i cant put it between the sat receiver & other components since im using S-Video out of the receiver, not coax)...am i missing something?

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Anthony,

You didn’t give us any info on the device, or a link. It’s hard to advise you how to use it if we don't know anything about it.

You noted this was a “last resort” effort, but I did a search on your posts and found nothing where you had asked for any help with the problem. Maybe we should start there.

For instance, since you note that you have a satellite, my first inclination is to ask if it has a separate ground from house electrical ground – that being the copper ground stake by the breaker panel. If that’s not the problem, some more information about your system would help.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Mike_Skeway

Mike_Skeway Second Unit

If it is the device I think it is, it has a bandwidth of 100 MHz to 1 GHz. I do not know what your satellite needs. The first thing I would look at, as Wayne suggested, is if the satellite is using a different ground than the rest of your house. You need a common ground to avoid ground loops. This is an easy thing to fix. I am guessing that the device you mention just might not be compatible with your satellite.

4. Anthony*B

hmm...okay....you guys are probably right, the device may not be compatible w/ my system...as for the grounding problem, i never thought of that specifically...the sat was already at the location when we moved in & perhaps it it incorrectly set up...are you saying it should or should not be grounded w/ the same ground as the house (much of which is not grounded...you would not believe this place [​IMG] )...I will try to find someone to help me ascertain if my sat is grounded improperly (or not at all...grrrr)

5. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Yes. There should be a single electrical ground, typically a copper stake at the breaker panel. Any grounding on the satellite dish – the dish it self and/or the coaxial feed – should be grounded at the same stake. Ground loops occur when there are two paths to ground.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

6. Mike_Skeway

Mike_Skeway Second Unit

Old house I take it?

Everything should be grounded to the same common ground, electrical, cable TV, satellite, telephone, etc.

7. Gary Thomas

Gary Thomas Second Unit

In my case everything is grounded at a single stake & I still have a ground loop! I have the satellite, telephone & electric all run to a common point.

I know my loop is caused by the satellite, but the only way I was able to fix it was to lift the ground on both my subwoofer amp & subwoofer eq.

I know using cheater plugs is not ideal, but I've run out of options!

8. Mike_Skeway

Mike_Skeway Second Unit

Cheater plugs work. [​IMG]

9. Anthony*B

Mike:
    hehe, old house is putting it mildly...Willy Wonka would be proud of our house in that there is not a 90 degree angle to be found [​IMG]

10. Mike_Skeway

Mike_Skeway Second Unit

[​IMG]