What's new

Problem with Criterion blu rays? (1 Viewer)

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Received an email response back from Criterion - someone name Arie (Jon Mulvaney's assistant??)

There isn't a known issue with THE LADY VANISHES Blu-rays but if it proves defective after taking the trouble shooting steps below, we'd be happy to replace it for you.

First, double check to make sure your firmware is up-to-date. Firmware updates are released often and some releases may have trouble playing in a player that hasn't had a recent update. Many customers that report problems with their Blu-ray discs usually find that the problem is resolved as soon as they update their firmware (even if the player has no problem playing other Blu-rays)! The site below provides information that you may find helpful:

http://www.blu-ray.com/firmware/search.php

Also, Blu-rays are very finicky and even the slightest smudge can cause playback malfunction. Even if you can't see it with your own eye. You can use a little soap and water or even your shirt to clean your Blu-ray discs off. Or you can hold the disc under running water, and with clean hands, use your thumb to clean the surface by rubbing outward from the center only. Dry the discthoroughly by sandwiching it between several layers of paper towel but please be careful not to rub it. - Even if your disc was brand new out of the case we still recommend you cleaning it if you're having trouble playing it.

If you have found that your Blu-ray is still having play back issues, please send your disc in to the following address for a replacement:

The Criterion Collection
Attn: Jon Mulvaney
215 Park Avenue South
5th floor
New York, NY 10003

Please include only your disc -- no packaging -- along with the address to which you'd like us to mail your replacement. We will not be replacing or exchanging packaging.
Once your disc is received and your replacement is on the way, we'll follow up with tracking.

Thank you for your patience and understanding!

Best,
Arie

I checked the firmware on both of my players, and they are up to date. I also cleaned the disc (which I also did the other night). Same issue, so it looks like I will be sending it in.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I played "The Lady Vanishes" in its entirety on one of my Oppo 203 players without any issues. At this moment, I'm watching it again with the audio commentary on my other Oppo 203 player without any issue so far at the 10 minute mark.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
Tested mine and it is indeed defective .. freezing up at the 1.20.27 mark. I tested it on two Oppo models including its final incarnation. Cleaning did nothing.

Doggone. I just checked mine and it freezes up at the exact same point as yours, both on my Oppo BDP-93 and my computer Blu-Ray drive. Washing as per Criterion's instructions quoted above didn't help.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
If you contact Criterion, they will give you instructions for obtaining a replacement. Basically, you mail them just the disc (not the case or book) with an explanation of what is the problem and they will send you another copy.

I had an issue with For All Mankind a few months back, sent them my disc and had a replacement within about 2 weeks. :thumbsup:

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Has there ever been a replacement program for The Lady Vanishes? I think I also had the same problem with Ride With The Devil, but I will need to double check that one. I guess I should write them.

Because of your post I tested Ride With The Devil....one of my favorites. Never had a problem before... sure enough it froze twice at approx the 1 hr 10 minute mark.

Last edited:

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I tried my copy in my Mac with Mac Blu-ray Player and it played through 1:20:27 OK.

mcash007

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
I'm sending back The Lady Vanishes & Ride with the Devil, they are both defective. Oddly I purchased both at the same time. I wonder if they were replicated in the plant at roughly the same time also, maybe causing the error.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Question -- for those with issues, did you have the 2011 THE LADY VANISHES standalone or did you have the 2016 Hitchcock Boxset version.

My original won't even load on my OPPO or Sony players and VSO INspector scan gives tons of errors, but the Boxset version will play fine. The IFPI codes and ID codes appear different as well so I'm assuming the boxset was from a later pressing and different plant.

So far I haven't found an issue with Ride With the Devil

I did have to get replacement for Walkabout and Summer Hours a couple years ago.

Last edited:

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Just checked my copy and it played fine through 1:20:27. Panasonic UB9000.

And now I'm feeling the urge to watch the film again! :)

Mark

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I started off just checking my disc and ended up watching it twice in its entirety.:)

I've got stuff to do today. But I left 'The Lady Vanishes' in the player for tomorrow or the next day. :)

FWIW, I added the film to my collection in June 2012. That was 6 months after release. I wonder if I ended up with a second pressing copy after the problem was discovered?

Mark

mcash007

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
I just seemed odd to me that I had 2 Criterion discs error for no reason in the span of a month. Used an Oppo 203 & Bluray computer drive to verify the error. When you pay a premium for these discs (barring sales) it is a little frustrating. I mailed them both back today, so hopefully I see them again soon. I should probably check the rest.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I misremembered this thread and pulled out my blu-ray of The 39 Steps to watch. I was happy it didn’t freeze up and then I saw that it wasn’t that disc that was being discussed here. So now I have the pleasure of following it up with The Lady Vanishes. Keeping my fingers crossed it is error free.

But enjoying my latest excursion thru Hitch’s British films.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks