Problem with choppy playback on RP56

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Matt Heebner, Aug 30, 2003.

1. Matt Heebner

Matt Heebner Stunt Coordinator

First time that I've had a problem with my Panny RP56. I was watching LOTR:Extended Edition today and I noticed very choppy playback, like it was dropping frames or something right from the beginning of the movie. I turned the player off, and on and replayed it and it didn't do it. I then turned it off and on again and it did it again. It's very choppy but the sound is fine. The disc has no smudges or dirt, and I just watched it like 2 weeks ago with out any problems.

Anyone had this happen? Is my player going? I havent seen it happen with any other disc's, but my LOTR is clean as can be. What would cause it to play back so choppy, but the sound be perfect ?

Matt

2. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    try a different disc...perhaps that one is defective??

best of luck

gregg

3. Matt Heebner

I thought of that but it seems to be happening intermittently, I just watched it a couple of weeks ago and it didn't happen. I was demo-ing my sysem for a guy, and Matrix and Gladiator were just fine. Only LOTR "stuttered" and was choppy. I am going to try it today and see if it does it again.
    I am perplexed.

Matt

4. Matt Heebner

I have just noticed that this is happening on the DTS track of the disk....and is totally fine with the Dolby Digital track. I don't think this is a good thing. Time for a new player I wonder. I will have to try some different dts discs to see if it continues.

Matt

5. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

yep! mine have the exact same problem. It'll gradually worsen. I used my RP-56 for 2 years and watched more than 1000 movies though.

6. Matt Heebner

yea, thats about the same amount of time that I've had mine. Oh well...new player.[​IMG]

Matt