Problem with center speaker placement.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Luciano Pires, Aug 8, 2001.

1. Luciano Pires

Need your help...
    Here’s my equipment list.
    65” Proscan HDTV
    Paradigm Monitor 7’s – Mains
    Paradigm Monitor CC370 – Center
    Paradigm ADP170’s – Surrounds
    Denon AVR3802 – Receiver
    Denon DVD2800 – DVD player
    I was setting everything up yesterday, since my RPTV, main speakers and the DVD player only arrived yesterday when I encountered a problem.
    The RPTV does not have enough space to hold the center channel. I can put it up there, but I’m afraid that it will fall off.
    I need some suggestions on how to mount and hold the center channel.
    I dying to try out my system, please help.
    Thanks,
    LP
    ------------------

2. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    I recently had the same problem in my bedroom setup.. My Sony Wega TV couldn't support the Paradigm CC.... I took a ride to Home Depot on Monday and picked up some shelving..... Cost me 14 bucks total.... I anchored the shelf brackets into 2 studs, and setup the shelf around a foot higher than my TV..... The speaker is now around 12 inches behind the TV, but after I recalibrated, it sounds great..... I will post pics on my website tonight.....
    How far away from the wall is your RPTV??
    ------------------
    Thanks,
    Steven R. Simon
    HTF Administrator
    Theater Pics Updated 7-26-2001
    Send Email: [email protected]

3. Luciano Pires

Steven,
    The TV is against the wall, but it's about 30" deep.
    If I set the speaker on a shelf, will there be a problem with the sound? Do I need to place the mains back the same distance as the center then?
    Thanks for the response.
    LP
    ------------------

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Luciano: A lot of people get some rubber door-wedges and use them to make feet for their center speakers. This gets the speaker up (to decouple it from the TV cabinent), gives it a bit of a tilt (to point at the listener instead of over their heads), and to help anchor it.
    Yes, putting the speaker on a shelf will compromise some sound quality. You need to make "feet" to get the cabinent up off of the shelf so it does not vibrate the shelf. Square Dowels, door-wedges, pink-rubber erasers and paper-back books have all been used for this. (I have a half-inflated wheelbarrow innertube under my center. Total cost about $8).
    It is also recommended that you pull the center speaker forward so that the face over-hangs the front of the TV. If it is flush, the sound can couple to the front of the TV, if the speaker is pushed back, the top of the TV will reflect a lot of sound upward causing some distortion.
    Since your center is not usually the same distance to your listening position as your L/R speakers, your receiver allows you to add a center-speaker delay. Calculate how much closer the center is in FEET and add 1 MiliSec of delay per foot to compensate. (Note: you really cannot tell the difference, but it's an easy adjustment to make so you may as well do it).

5. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    A Good solid shelf, with strong screws in a stud will work great..... If the CC speaker is set back a little, you can use the delay feature of your reciever to compensate for this......
    To be honest with you, my shelf doesn't vibrtae at all.... The Brackets are secured tightly into the wood shelf, and this isn't a problem for me....
    ------------------
    Thanks,
    Steven R. Simon
    HTF Administrator
    Theater Pics Updated 7-26-2001
    Send Email: [email protected]
    [Edited last by Steven Simon on August 08, 2001 at 11:51 AM]

6. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

I use a radioshack speaker stand for my center in front of my RPTV. The bottom of the screen is 22 inches off the floor. The stand is 14 inches high and the center speaker is 7 inches high. The top of the speaker is 1 inch below the screen. Works great. You can see pics of it in my link below. I hope this helps.
    ------------------
    "What do you mean its too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
    Radden Home Theater

7. William Ward

William Ward Supporting Actor

I have my CC-350 on stands in front of my 55807. This basically puts the speaker right where the TV speakers are. I just push my mains to be even up with the CC. I have my HD STB on top of my TV. Don't have to worry about the speaker bending the top of the TV.
    Got my stands at radio shack(get the smallest they have) for around $15 I think. I put them side by side to make enough space for the speaker.
    ------------------
    William
    Go Bucs!!
    MyDVDs

8. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Steven: The problem with a shelf is NOT that the shelf might vibrate. It's that the speaker enclosure actually vibrates with the sound. Laying the speaker on the shelf/TV will cause friction and "muffle" the sound.
    You have your L/R speakers on spikes dont you? Compare the surface area on the bottom of your towers to the area on your center speaker. The horizontal center has a lot more surface area, hence a better chance for improvement if you put it on spikes.
    Since spikes are un-acceptable for the top of the TV, little feet can be constructed from rubber erasers or door wedges.
    Yes, this is a third-order improvement for most systems. But that center is the most important speaker in your array. So it's worth the $5 in erasers/wedges to try it.

9. Luciano Pires

Thanks for all your replies. I will look into both methods.
    I like the shelf idea more than the stand in front of the TV. Reason, I have a two year old that loves to climb onto everything (She's going through the terrible two's).
    Thanks again,
    LP
    ------------------

10. Tom Pielech

Tom Pielech Extra

I use rubber door wedges. The other day I had noticed that dialog was muddy. I checked my settings and found nothing had changed. Then I looked at the center speaker and noticed it had come off the wedges. Putting it back on the wedges cleared up the muddiness. Instead of firing above the listeners heads the sound is fired down at the listeners.