What's new

Problem with cable connection (1 Viewer)

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
Hello everyone. I finally am hooked to the internet via Cable Internet. I Love the speed and the downloads but I'm having a problem with my connection disconnecting, much like Dial-up. The problem is that I'll be on a page and the "connect" light on my keyboard will go off signaling that I've been disconnected. I'll than try to go somewhere and as would be expected it doesn't go because I've been disconnected from the internet:frowning:.When this has happened I've tried to use the reset button on my modem and each time that hasn't worked, it seems the only way to get back online is to reboot my computer. I'm currently running a 4 year old computer(going @ 463MHZ) with around 64 MB of RAM (I know it's pathetic but I plan on getting a RAM upgrade soon.)My modem is a Linksys Etherfast which is plugged into my computer via the newly installed ethernet card which the installers had to put in. As of now I'm not running a firewall because all of the ones I've tried slow my computer down dramatically. What could be causing this disconnects? in all instances the TV cable was working fine. Since Saturday (when it was installed) I've had 5 disconnects.Could it be a problem with my modem? or is it a problem on the providers end? thanks.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
To me sounds like a software issue possibly the modem I would call your cable company and have them send a technician out with a new modem and reinstall the software for it as well. I've not heard of many companys using Linksys modems. I know we (Comcast) use RCA's here in Washington state and I rarely hear of any issues with them. All depends on the computer though to.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Don't use your PC to judge it. Look at the status lights on the modem.

Without knowing if your modem is actually displaying problems, it could also be the connection software that you're using.

(By the way, get a broadband router, please!!!!!!!)

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
try unplugging the modem for a few minutes and plugging it back in so it does a full restart, do check the activity lights on the modem to see if it is picking up a signal or not, sometimes there are two lights, one on the front for netowrk activity and one on the back for external activity from the cable company (Like mine).

the router is a good suggestion, it helps keep your computer from being hacked into.

LewB

Screenwriter
Is the cable modem fed from it's own separate line that starts at the first split from where the cable comes into the house ? Having multiple splitters in the line that feeds the modem can cause intermittent problems, it happened to me. :angry:
Too many splitters can cause a drop in the signal level to the point where the modem will blink out when there is a dip in signal strength from the cable company. Are all the LEDs lit on the modem ?

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
OHH, LewB brought up a good point, find out where the cable box hooks into, it's garunteed to be hooked up to a splitter somewhere, but hopefully it's attached to the cable box outside your house. Check the splitter and make sure it's a low loss (like 3-7dB) and high frequency (at least up to 2400mhz) splitter (as well as any others in line of the cable modem).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks