What's new

Problem with brand new Pioneer FS-52 floor speakers (1 Viewer)

actfray

Grip
Real Name
Craig Pearman
I recently bought a pair of these speakers as they were rated one of the best in their price range (I paid $166 new off Ebay). I've been watching movies on both Blu Ray and DVD as well as playing CD's. But last week, one of the speakers started to buzz whenever the lower bass notes sounded. I looked at the cones, and none of them were torn or damaged. It doesn't happen all the time, but I'm wondering why it happens at all.

I'm using a Yamaha RV-502 amp which seems to provide adequate power. The overall quality of the speakers is very good for the price, but the buzzing is unacceptable. I'm using 20-guage speaker wire for the connections.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
You're probably overdriving them. Turn the volume down. Does the buzz go away?

actfray

Grip
Real Name
Craig Pearman
Yes it did go away. But I had to turn it so far down that I could barely hear it. And it wasn't that loud to begin with. It's only happening in one speaker, so if I was overpowering them, why wouldn't it happen in both? Could I have a bad connection with crappy wire?

I'm just very frustrated because these speakers got rave reviews. Then again, if it's a connection issue, the speakers are not at fault.

theJman

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Jim
Is it possible one of the drivers isn't screwed in all the way? You might want to take a screwdriver and snug everything down. Not tight, because the speakers are probably made from MDF and could easily strip them out, but just enough so they're firmly seated.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
If it didn't start out with a buzz but it's there now, there's a good chance that one of the drivers is blown in that speaker. If you bought new they should be under warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks