What's new

Problem with black level on 53wx52 (1 Viewer)

Manuel Parrado

Stunt Coordinator
I'm seeing a problem when playing my rp82 in progressive mode, where things that are very dark (a black coat is the most notorious I've seen) loose their texture and become solid black and look very saturated.
Thanks to a reply by someone else to my previous post, I found that that this is due to the IRE level set to 0 instead of 7.5 on progressive mode. I verified it by setting the interlaced output of the rp82 to "darker" which is actually 0 IRE and reproducing the problem.
The bad thing is that I cannot make it look right no matter how much I crank the brightnes (not the picture) up and I'm calibrating the set for the progressive DVD player using S&V HT Tune Up disk.
Anyone has any idea what I can do to address this issue?
By the way, the line doubler in the new Panasonic RPTV's seems to be very very decent because I have yet to see a difference between the RP82's reputable progressive output and the interlaced output on my TV. Actually, progressive is the worse right now because of the problem mentioned above.
Thanks in advance.

SeanWillis

Agent
Try posting at panny.tv and see what kind of reply you get. I can't really comment on what you're seeing despite pretty much have the same equipment. I find black levels are fine on the television with a progressive input. I quickly used a THX disc to set the television and I rarely (if ever) have the player interlaced.

Sean

Manuel Parrado

Stunt Coordinator
maybe we should start a 53WX42 support group for ourselves Manuel
Kevin, like Sean said, there's always the www.panny.tv website. The reason I always post here first is because it is much more frequented and I've grown fond of the Home Theater community here. As soon as I'm done posting here, I'll post over there and see what I get.
Are you having the same problem?
At any rate, maybe I should start posting more over there to help make it more active (although it's not dead by any means).
Sean, I believe this is strictly a TV issue (although I can't tell for sure). Maybe you got lucky on your OOTB performance and I need to work mine a little bit.
Regards

Bill K

Auditioning
Manuel,
I have the same player (Rp82) and the same RPTV (53wx42). While watching Thirteen Days last night (good movie) I noticed this exact same problem. All of those sleek 1960's suits kept losing their texture and turning into a blotch of color. I tried all the avenues reported here to fix the problem, but none worked. How did you fix the same problem? I think the TV and DVD player is great and I haven't seen this issue on over a dozen other DVD's I've played on my system.
-Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks