What's new

Problem with B&K separates (1 Viewer)

Steve Lance

Auditioning
Hi,

I've run into some problems with my 4-year old B&K AVP4090 preap and B&K AV5000 amp. Recently, during 5.1 playback, the unit starting abruptly cutting out. High volume quick bursts of static followed, until I could get the remote to turn off the preamp.

It seems to happen after the unit has been playing awhile, but has never happened before. The local dealer has been of little help, but the problem seems to be happening more frequently.

It appears to be source independent since it happens with my DVD or XBOX (5.1 adaptor). The problem does go away for a while once the unit it turned back on, but will return.

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
Sounds very similar to what happened to my Sony TA-E9000es preamp. It needs repair (mine was under warranty thank goodness). You are experiencing a power supply failure and/or it sounds like your analog preamp outputs are going as well. I don't think it is the amp. Can you get the dealer to loan you a preamp (even a receiver) to determine if it is for sure the preamp? Just swap out your 4090 with said receiver/preamp to verify the problem. If that fixes the symptoms you have the problem. If not, then the amp may need a look (swap that out next). My money is on the preamp.

Steve Lance

Auditioning
Thanks. It appears to be the problem that you mentioned and I even got my dealer to cover it out of B&K warranty.

Go figure!

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks