What's new

Problem with Amazon Prime Streaming (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
This has started to happen often. I start a program that is in HD or HDR and it starts in a mode that is clearly not even HD. I back out of the program, start from the beginning and it's in the correct resolution.

Anyone else having this problem? I'm streaming with my LG 65UH8500.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
It could be a bug in the Amazon app on your LG display. I would suggest opening a support ticket with LG. I know the Amazon app on the Sony X800 UHD players has been having issues lately. It hasn't been a big deal for me, though, as I use my Roku Ultra as my main streaming device. It's had an audio issue lately (occasional chirping noise), but Roku is supposedly working on the issue.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I'm on ATT fiber and I have noticed the PQ ramp up when you first load the app takes a long time on the first episode you watch. When I start the next episode, it is FAST to hitting 1080p or UHD.

That being said, my LG OLED app is super slow at ramp up regardless, when compared to my UHD Blu player. And the Sony X800 issue has been for awhile where it wont get over 1080p on UHD stuff, when other devices will.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
There's a ramp up to HD or UHD? I didn't realize that. If I let the Amazon App just play the movie, it will get around to HD sometime?

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Yeah, even Netflix doesnt just start at 2160p, its takes a sec. I think the apps eval your speed and some devices buffer a little.

There is a Netflix test video that ramps all the way to 16000kbps, and it take can take 10-15 seconds depending on the device.

As an example, I just fired up my blu-ray player to watch The Grand Tour UHD. It started saying UHD at about 5 seconds, but the PQ did not finish ramping up until about 25 seconds into the episode for full Ultra HD. Now that is on a cold boot, but if I got right into another episode it starts off at good PQ. I think the app feels out your connection.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I have not noticed much, if any, ramp-up time when streaming 1080p or 2160p in my setup -- maybe a couple of seconds. I mostly use my Roku Ultra for streaming, but have used the Chromecast apps on my Vizio display a couple of times. Comcast is my ISP.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I have noticed some apps and some devices behave differently.

Like I said, I'm on ATT gigabit so the "ramp up" is not a factor of my HSI. Also, Amazon can have issues. Last night I was watching a 1080p TV show and I noticed it got a little soft. Caused the status bar to popup during playback and it was HD, Not HD 1080p. I left it alone and did a bandwidth test and got 200 down 200 up over wifi on my phone while streaming, so it was my service. I stopped playback, and restarted and it never had another blip.

The tech is not perfect, but it is a lot better than it was a few years ago. Also glad I am not trying to do all of this with 6mbps DSL anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks