What's new

Problem w/MP3 playback --Toshiba 4700 (1 Viewer)

Dan Steffen

Stunt Coordinator
Dan:

I don't hear any pops or hisses. To me it sounds generally pretty good (I like your FM radio analogy). There are some songs which seem garbled but overall I think it sounds pretty good. All the music sounded pretty bad when played through DPL II but when I switched to 5 channel it sounded just fine. I have to admit that it seems to lack a little bass. I d/l brass monkey by Beastie Boys because SVS has it as a song with a lot of bass and I think it still packs quite a whollop but I don't have an audio CD to compare it to....don't worry I did buy the cassette ( a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away)

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
I agree with Clinton. I don't think the 3750 passes MP3 through the Digital realm. Most players don't---strictly analog. I'm sure this will change in the near future.

I have gotten a snapping or crackling sound when playing freshly burned CD-R whole disc Audio copies before but usually only on the track change. Come back a day later and play the same CD-R and no snaps. Weird.

Dan Hotch

Agent
Another way to verify that it is not a poor quality MP3, but the ability of the Tosh to play it is to burn a copy of a few MP3s to a CD in the .cda format (make a disk that can be played in regular cd players) then play that in the Toshiba. Compare the CD with songs in MP3 format to a CD with the same MP3 songs converted to cda files. If the .cda file sound better then you know something isn't right with the MP3 decoder on the Toshiba.

It is not worth it for me to play around with it right now as I only have a pair of crappy old JVC speakers... ...That will change when I get my Paradigms. I will let you know if I find anything interesting.

Regardless, for $200 the 3750 is a great progressive scan DVD player!

Dan Hotch

Agent
(Sorry, forgot to add this to last post.)

Speaking of MP3s being close to FM quality. I saw an FM transmitter at Best Buy last week for $20. I could plug that into the computer upstairs and just tune the receiver to pick it up. That way I could listen to songs off of the computer all day long (just shut the monitor off) while working around the house.

I am going to try that if I can't get the MP3s to work.

Dan Mercier

Stunt Coordinator
One other thing to note that I have personally found is that you get used to the sound from your computer which is actually not accurate to the intended sound.

Ie. the sound card naturally adds a boost at certain levels etc...

The DVD player may be of better quality and not add any boost and since this is so different than your computer you perceive it as bad.

Just a thought not saying it is the case.

Jeff_E

Grip
I have played many mp3's on my 4700 and they sound great...I have been very pleased with this player.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
I've got an SD3750 at home (essentially identical inside to the 4700) and I really have nothing but good things to say about it's MP3 playback capabilities. I have a 700MB CD filled with tunes from all kinds of different sources and codecs including VBR, CBR, different sample rates, etc and the 3750 handles them all. I've tested the same disc on a Panasonic DVD-RP56 and an RP91 and they had trouble with a fair number of the tracks and they don't do random play.

have noticed that when I set it up to play random songs, it gets caught at the end of some songs and doesn't continue.
This happens to me too. Thankfully it continues normally after pressing the 'next track' button, but I wish it didn't happen at all.

Chris Brunner

Second Unit
Echoing Jeff_E's sentiments.

I simply inserted a cd filled with raw, downloaded MP3s (128k) and I am surprised at how good some of them sound.

My 4700 is set to bitstream as the default, but I've never checked to see if the audio is truly passing through the 2 channel analog connection. No DSP. Just straight stereo.

The PAIN is the 8 character naming convention.

C

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks